JJtheRed

Memphis Depay Thread

depay7_3412412b.jpg

13 February 1994 (age 22)
  Moordrecht, Netherlands
  1.76 m (5 ft 9 in)

Forward / Winger 

When we look at the way his career at Old Trafford has gone so far, the the word that keeps coming to mind is "Questions" 

Once the hottest young talent around (how many have melted under that spotlight?) -  Memphis arrived on the back of a stellar Eredivise season and promising displays for a Dutch national team in a time of marked transition. 

You always feel the aforementioned spotlight is made all the brighter when a player is given the hallowed number 7 shirt. The weight of that single digit has crushed certain players, but more often than not, the player has made that famous number their own and Memphis certainly has the raw ability to do that; does he have the strength of character to do so? 

As I've said of many players over the years; he's produced moments of obvious quality - it's a case of knitting these flashes together into some semblance of form... Therein lies the simplest and most poignant question: Can he? 

Memphis-Depay-605265.jpg

One thing is obvious; Memphis enjoys the lifestyle that being a Footballer brings - the money, the clothes and particularly the cars. Memphis is (in)famous for his inclination towards high-end cars... How the likes of Keane et al would've reacted to his prowess in car park Top Trumps not really being mirrored on the pitch is a debate for another day. 

Its clear he's settled (socially, at least) - it's now time for him to establish himself as a regular fixture in our starting 11, I feel to do this he'd need to add more industry to his performances. 

Mourinho has pretty much always left the proverbial door open on the possibility of Memphis playing a key role this season and beyond - again the question is Can he? 

He shown in Europe last season what ability he has and hopefully under Jose he can replicate that in the league this season.

It's going to be hard for him to get back into the side but he's good enough to do if he gets his head down and works hard.

You would worry for the lad. Taken off so early in the half is the sign of him being singled out as a weak point.

He actually did okay though. He was very good during the first 15 minutes and he was on the end of some terrible challenges from behind in the 2nd half.

McCourt should have been sent off.

What to do with him? I still think that there's a bloody good footballer in Memphis but, at the moment, he's shorn of confidence. Maybe he's like Nani and needs a paternal shoulder rather than a bollocking. He's still young and Van Gaal did him no favours. Historically, we've always played with wingers and I'd like to see him sticking to the touchline with Shaw running up behind him. Young and Valencia on the right and a rotating three of Ibra, Rashford, and Martial in the middle. Pogba just behind with a rotation of Miki, Mata, Herrera, Carrick, and Schneiderlin. So many options there and so much potential.

4 hours ago, Albert Quixall said:

What to do with him? I still think that there's a bloody good footballer in Memphis but, at the moment, he's shorn of confidence. Maybe he's like Nani and needs a paternal shoulder rather than a bollocking. He's still young and Van Gaal did him no favours. Historically, we've always played with wingers and I'd like to see him sticking to the touchline with Shaw running up behind him. Young and Valencia on the right and a rotating three of Ibra, Rashford, and Martial in the middle. Pogba just behind with a rotation of Miki, Mata, Herrera, Carrick, and Schneiderlin. So many options there and so much potential.

Why on earth would you want young in the first team?

On 9/22/2016 at 02:58, Albert Quixall said:

Hope his post WC period is behind him . In mostly of cases ( if not in 100%) the good performes at the big forums needs at least a year to be recovered. So he can be at the level  he was at PSV. 

33 minutes ago, Kez said:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/10605895/memphis-depay-support-role-at-manchester-united-is-not-for-me

Should probably find a new club if this is the case, I cant see him breaking into the first team on a permanent starting basis, mayb the cups/Europa league but that's it.

I disagree that's IMO the right attitude - he's determined to succeed, especially his comment about not needing to be consoled - I hope he makes it even though I don't think he will tbh

1 hour ago, Kez said:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/10605895/memphis-depay-support-role-at-manchester-united-is-not-for-me

Should probably find a new club if this is the case, I cant see him breaking into the first team on a permanent starting basis, mayb the cups/Europa league but that's it.

Interesting insight, obviously he knows where he wants to get to but he'll surely know himself that his performances have been nowhere near that standard. He should continue in wanting to be the best but there's no reason why he can't force his way into the team if his performances are improved. The LW spot is currently up for grabs. Ideally I would like to see Martial and Rashford on a front 3 with Ibra. Martial hasn't had the best of starts to the season although his goal against Stoke and speed of his run was brilliant. That's the intensity we need Memphis to bring to the field. 

Although he may not like his current role he's done nothing to suggest he deserves more than a supporting role and it's up to him to turn it around. People keep sighting back to his previous Europa League games and I think expect him to turn it on when he comes into those type of games against weaker opposition but it's easier said than done.

I doubt he will get to where he wants to be but it remains to be seen. 

2 hours ago, hdcantona said:

I disagree that's IMO the right attitude - he's determined to succeed, especially his comment about not needing to be consoled - I hope he makes it even though I don't think he will tbh

Oh I'm not for a second saying its not the right attitude, I just don't believe he will break into the first team on a regular basis, I think Jose just about has his starting XI for the PL nailed now and I don't think Memphis features in that unless theres injuries to Lingard and Martial, showing something or working hard in training isn't the same as doing it on the pitch on a Saturday afternoon and as much as I'd love him to succeed and get a starting position I just cant see it so if he doesn't want to be on the bench, then hence my comments about having to find somewhere else.

Waste of time this kid... too interested in mirror muscles & the celebrity lifestyle. Seems to be talented, but too soft for the PL & too self-involved to push for a place. 

His shooting is as bad as I've ever seen from a professional footballer - he literally hits row z with his first 3-5 shots every. single. time. Bringing him on against Stoke was a mistake, he offered nothing & is not a good crosser of the ball. 

Fully expect him to be boarding a plane in Jan or next summer.