peterswellman

Ideas/Improvements/Things you would like to see?

Hi.

In the past few months we seem to be gathering some momentum again, we haven't crash for awhile now(touch wood) and we have developed a good stable community. In the past few weeks we have had some new members join which is always needed because the place can grow stale at point. This place has been up and running for over two years now and to say it has ran smoothly in that time would be a fair assessment I think. We rarely have any trouble and each staff member offers a variety of different qualities, be it Aard with the technical side, Dualta with the games and organisation and our mods for overseeing things throughout the forum. Top job guys.

But at this point I feel it's time to build upon that initial success and continue to grow and improve the community. So who better to ask on ways to add to the forum experience than its actual members. What would you like to see changed on the forum? What can be improved? Any ideas no matter how big or small will be taken on board and discussed by us.

We have an excellent little community here full of good posters and it's fine at the moment. Just looking for suggestions on making it better.

Cheers,

Swellman.

I guess one little thing I would like to see would be a couple of sub-forums to make certain things a little easier to find? Just a quick mock-up;

e6a51462e7.jpg

So you still have the top thread for first team and staff, but there's a bridge for players who mainly play for the reserves and occasionally the first team (as I suppose they wouldn't class as being worthy of being in the Academy section?). Would also be a great place to pin the 'Premier League 2' thread I made.

Just food for thought. But I think an ex-player section would be great!

1 hour ago, Juanderful said:

I guess one little thing I would like to see would be a couple of sub-forums to make certain things a little easier to find? Just a quick mock-up;

e6a51462e7.jpg

So you still have the top thread for first team and staff, but there's a bridge for players who mainly play for the reserves and occasionally the first team (as I suppose they wouldn't class as being worthy of being in the Academy section?). Would also be a great place to pin the 'Premier League 2' thread I made.

Link me to said thread and i'll pin it right away.

On another note, a good way to think of things to improve is to basically just steal / borrow ideas from other places. One forum i've always been impressed with is Talk Chelsea. 

http://talkchelsea.net/

b7e8bf503c.jpg

It has always been a forum first and foremost, but they've evolved it into a genuine nice looking hub that has a lot of functionality. You have the perfect domain too. So perhaps take some inspiration from these guys? Obviously, it then becomes a proper undertaking from members of staff to manage a consistent stream of content (like the Opinions articles) but having such a section is an attraction for new members (in that something they write could be hosted on the main page).

If you do want to evolve, then I think a homepage of sorts is definitely the next logical step (like we had on MUT I think?)

Edited by Juanderful

20 hours ago, Juanderful said:

e6a51462e7.jpg

Like the idea of sub forums but I don't think they should be displayed under the overarching forum's title on the front page, it makes for a messier less user friendly look. 

If I'm honest swell I think you're just reaching your limit with respect to a Man Utd forum. I mean the forum's bread and butter is its users, you could attract more users but as numbers come in the quality of posts go down (ahem Red Cafe). 

What you could do I guess- but I'm guessing it's very complicated technically is to get in touch with other sensible football forums and you could try and implement some spill overs to freshen things up. 

What I'm seeing is a common bilateral sub forum for example between Talk Chelsea and this place. The common sub forum would be represented in both forums and accessible from both forums but basically you vet the place first to see whether its users are knobs. I think it would make for some good banter especially when those direct clashes come about but I guess it must be a nightmare to pull off technically. 

I think a step forward would be greater emphasis on staying on topic. If a newbie clicks on the Pogba thread and sees that people are talking about Griezmann or something, they're likely to be disoriented. The Guardian has a quite stringent moderation policy, but it makes for informative debate. 

A wider range of smilies / emoticons. Maybe even graphic tags for United players names (a little shirt icon with a number on, for example)

I'd be concerned about having too big of a front end website, because sometimes they're a huge amount of work to maintain - and often end up to webmasters having to look at advertising to meet expenses.

The forum itself is really the priority, and should remain so.