Spoonman

Wayne Rooney Thread

Will this be Wayne Rooney's final season at Manchester United?   

43 members have voted

1. 1. Will this be Wayne Rooney's final season at Manchester United?

27 minutes ago, adhityaprianda said:

exactly this, i was donning the Rooney 8 kit with pride 10 years ago. now he is the first name that i want to leave the club

I read so many posts from people about how they think he's in decline and surely he must realise it himself and it's only a matter of time before he leaves the club, etc.

No one ever mentions - maybe they didn't read it or they've forgotten or they're blocking it out! - that he said the other week he wants a contract extension - presumably for another 3 years, because he also said he wants to play until he's 37, (his present contract, of course, lasts til he's 34) and I doubt very much he had any other club in mind to spend those 6 years in. He'll never admit he's in decline. And if Jose panders to him like Van Gaal did, ('pampered him to the heavens, let him play where he wanted', as someone put it) he never will.

It's very depressing.

Edited by RVPred

43 minutes ago, RVPred said:

I read so many posts from people about how they think he's in decline and surely he must realise it himself and it's only a matter of time before he leaves the club, etc.

No one ever mentions - maybe they didn't read it or they've forgotten or they're blocking it out! - that he said the other week he wants a contract extension - presumably for another 3 years, because he also said he wants to play until he's 37, (his present contract, of course, lasts til he's 34) and I doubt very much he had any other club in mind to spend those 6 years in. He'll never admit he's in decline. And if Jose panders to him like Van Gaal did, ('pampered him to the heavens, let him play where he wanted', as someone put it) he never will.

It's very depressing.

I don't think Jose does pampering. He wants to challenge for the title and he won't allow passengers. As long as Rooney is scoring, he'll play.

1 hour ago, RVPred said:

No one ever mentions

Well that's a lie, because I've seen you mention it several times now. If he's actually given a contract extension and you see an official announcement from the club, then you can cry about it. For now, it's just rumours, so give it a bloody rest ffs. 

All he was saying is that Rooney wants a new contract? No rumours about it. Rooney thinks he has a long term stay here and that's more worrying than anything else, should it come to fruition. 

Jose will have him clocked out by November at the latest.

8 minutes ago, Juanderful said:

All he was saying is that Rooney wants a new contract? No rumours about it. Rooney thinks he has a long term stay here and that's more worrying than anything else, should it come to fruition. 

Jose will have him clocked out by November at the latest.

Unless there is evidence proving Rooney has said he wants a new contract, then it is just rumours. And even if he does want an extension, it doesn't mean he's going to get one. 

14 minutes ago, Munroe said:

Unless there is evidence proving Rooney has said he wants a new contract, then it is just rumours. And even if he does want an extension, it doesn't mean he's going to get one. 

I think it was mentioned in a roundabout way, rather than a definite "I want to stay for X more years". It has widely been reported that he'd be happy to retire here.

I don't hate Wayne in the way I hate Man City for example, but I strongly dislike the fact he seemingly was untouchable despite playing so badly at times it was dragging the entire side's performance with him. So long as he's held to the same standards as everyone else, then I'm happy - and I firmly believe that Jose will not be pandering to him if he isn't performing.

Do I believe we made a mistake in U-turning and keeping him after 2013? Yes I do. Fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice? Shame on me. You ask away (Fergie's words) twice, and you're done - hell the Fergie of the mid 90's would have probably driven him down to Chelsea in 2010. Fergie always said the cornerstone of his managerial success at United was "no one is bigger than the club" Well Wayne Rooney certainly seems at times to have destroyed that ethos. 

I refer to it as "The cult of Rooney". Driven by the hype of the media, together with that raw potential we all drooled over in 2003 from that drive over Seaman in the blue of Everton, to that phenomenal night that Wayne utterly lit up Old Trafford against Fenerbache - the "romantic vision" of Wayne has blinded many to the deficiencies in the current player. I think the England fans may have had that veil lifted in France, arguably they were finding out what a lot of United fans were trying to tell them. (I had many heated discussions with my Dad, who felt I was criticising a "world class" player.

World Class? Yes, once. But not a "world class" player anymore, but now perhaps a good one who can have "world class" moments. The issue seems to be, that those world class moments seem to be increasingly sporadic.

He plays well, then he's a good addition to the team and the squad. If he recaptures the "form" of the Moyes and LVG years, then he doesn't need to be anywhere other than the bench.

Been stealing a wage for years now.

If he doesn't buck his ideas up in the next couple months then Jose should be dropping him straight away.

It'll be amusing to watch Martial, Rashford, Ibra and co all show him up anyway.

9 hours ago, Canto said:

@dualtamac didn't start his thread? :D even he has deserted him and knows how shit he is know and how far he has declined, nice of you to finally see things how they actually are bud.

I'll never desert any footballer wearing the Man Utd jersey because I'm a Man Utd supporter.

But you know that even when whilst I've been defending him I've been honest about his worth and that hasn't changed. He'll start the season at second striker/attacking mid though and he'll be given at least 2 months before anything will change but if he keeps on playing the shite he has been, this could and probably will be his last season here.

9 hours ago, venusplanet said:

Landmark season where he will become the clubs highest scorer and break the 250 mark

However this is 100% true and he will always be remembered as a club legend whether people like it or not.

25 minutes ago, dualtamac said:

However this is 100% true and he will always be remembered as a club legend whether people like it or not.

Legend status is largely, if not completely down to consensus. 

I can't see it. 

47 minutes ago, JJtheRed said:

Legend status is largely, if not completely down to consensus. 

I can't see it. 

As like many others once he retires most that already haven't will come around. All-time top scorer for the club won't be hated forever. Can't happen.  Won't ever make an all-time United XI though and his raw talent should have.

The Mail today had a PL team-by-team guide done by Martin Keown. Obviously it's only his opinion which he's entitled to,  but for United he has as his 'Key Player' - Rooney. 'I can see him forming a potent partnership with Zlatan Ibrohimovic'

It just made me wonder, in the media world of 'never criticise Rooney' whether he'll be the only one saying such things about him. Of all the players we have, and he picks Rooney as the Key Player of the team! lol 

What he said reminded me of Bryan Robson the other day. It was actually Zlat he was talking about, he said he'd seen the Everton game and he could see from that that Rooney and Zlat already had an understanding and could be a good team.

No one, of course, will ever say Rooney should not start. Ever.

1 hour ago, RVPred said:

The Mail today had a PL team-by-team guide done by Martin Keown. Obviously it's only his opinion which he's entitled to,  but for United he has as his 'Key Player' - Rooney. 'I can see him forming a potent partnership with Zlatan Ibrohimovic'

It just made me wonder, in the media world of 'never criticise Rooney' whether he'll be the only one saying such things about him. Of all the players we have, and he picks Rooney as the Key Player of the team! lol 

What he said reminded me of Bryan Robson the other day. It was actually Zlat he was talking about, he said he'd seen the Everton game and he could see from that that Rooney and Zlat already had an understanding and could be a good team.

No one, of course, will ever say Rooney should not start. Ever.

Keown doesn't know shit and is likely just trolling.

Edited by Juanderful

1 hour ago, Juanderful said:

Keown doesn't know shit and is likely just trolling.

I knew that would be the response. Like I said, he's entitled to his opinion.

It's the fact someone referred to Rooney as the Key player for United that I mentioned it at all.

18 minutes ago, RVPred said:

I knew that would be the response. Like I said, he's entitled to his opinion.

It's the fact someone referred to Rooney as the Key player for United that I mentioned it at all.

Sure, everyone is entitled to an opinion. But when you consider some mugs pay him to spout out his on a National platform - then it's fair game to point out how wrong it is.

TBH Rooney has had shit service to him for years now. Crap Moyes football of lofting it into the box in hit and hope pressing to dour, possession, "don't shoot on sight" LvG instructions.

Will be interesting to see him play under the Mou philosophy plus with proper players around him. I think he may surprise us still this season. 

13 minutes ago, GameBreaker said:

TBH Rooney has had shit service to him for years now. Crap Moyes football of lofting it into the box in hit and hope pressing to dour, possession, "don't shoot on sight" LvG instructions.

Will be interesting to see him play under the Mou philosophy plus with proper players around him. I think he may surprise us still this season. 

To be fair, Wayne seemed to have lost the long range shooting in the final years of Fergie's time. That to me was baffling, because his long range shooting was arguably his best asset. When was the last, truly long range goal he scored? (genuine question), because even his stunner against City was in the box.