Chris_C

Game Of Thrones

got21.jpg

The series, set on the fictional continents of Westeros and Essos at the end of a decade-long summer, interweaves several plot lines. The first follows the members of several noble houses in a civil war for the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms; the second covers the rising threat of the impending winter and the mythical creatures of the North; the third chronicles the attempts of the exiled last scion of the realm's deposed dynasty to reclaim the throne. Through its morally ambiguous characters, the series explores the issues of social hierarchy, religion, loyalty, corruption, sexuality, civil war, crime, and punishment. It is the most recent big-budget work to have contributed to the popularity of the fantasy genre in mainstream media.

Season 1 & 2 Recap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzxOv-KF9do

Season 3 Recap:

*Episode by episode, follow the links at the end of the videos.

Season 4 Trailers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ZNaLQD60Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIASaUUwklk

Episode 1 of Season 4 is titled 'Two Swords', and is set to air on April 6th.

Edited by aardvarked

I've watched the first two seasons and I've loved every minute of it.

The character development in this is second to none and not one other show matches it in that department.

I thought that it was going to be hard to watch because of there being so many storylines but I couldn't be more wrong. Because there are so many different story lines from different houses which all link up together, it makes it fresh and far more interesting. I'd like to see Deanery's get more screen time but that will probably come over the course of the next couple seasons. I can't wait to see her dragon's grow and to see what she does with the army that she eventually builds.

Charles Dance is the GOAT. He's a f**king boss in every scene that he's in and it's good to see him in the show on a more regular basis now. He's the only Lannister (bar Tyrion) that I actually like.

Stannis is all kinds of a boss as well and although he lost out against the Lannisters, he's got to fight them again. Robb has proven to be a great king after Ned got murdered.

With Daenery's building an army, Robb marching towards the Lannisters, Stannis planning on taking over Kingslanding, it's set up perfectly.

Joffrey needs to die though. He's a horrible little c**t who's an awful king. Tywin should just take his head, put it on a spike and become the king. He's such a Don.

Edited by tomcoles

I've watched the first two seasons and I've loved every minute of it.

The character development in this is second to none and not one other show matches it in that department.

I thought that it was going to be hard to watch because of there being so many storylines but I couldn't be more wrong. Because there are so many different story lines from different houses which all link up together, it makes it fresh and far more interesting. I'd like to see Deanery's get more screen time but that will probably come over the course of the next couple seasons. I can't wait to see her dragon's grow and to see what she does with the army that she eventually builds.

Charles Dance is the GOAT. He's a f**king boss in every scene that he's in and it's good to see him in the show on a more regular basis now. He's the only Lannister (bar Tyrion) that I actually like.

Stannis is all kinds of a boss as well and although he lost out against the Lannisters, he's got to fight them again. Robb has proven to be a great king after Ned got murdered.

With Daenery's building an army, Robb marching towards the Lannisters, Stannis planning on taking over Kingslanding, it's set up perfectly.

Joffrey needs to die though. He's a horrible little c**t who's an awful king. Tywin should just take his head, put it on a spike and become the king. He's such a Don.

Ermmm, did you miss the Red Wedding? Think your behind the plot abit in your summary. Actually just saw you havent caught up with season 3, lol explains alot sorry. Edited by U4L

Plz change the thread title if it's about the show and not the book.

It's intended to be about both. Two birds and one stone and all that.

The main content of the thread is probably going to be show related because far more people watch than read, but the idea was that people could branch off into discussion about the books if they wanted to, using spoiler tags so as to not spoil things for show watchers.

Just thought it would be easier to have it all in one place.

Sky Atlantic have begun repeating Series 3. I missed the first 20 minutes of episode 1 last night. Looks like I'll be up to speed come season 4. I really liked Season 2 especially

The twist to the siege of Kings Landing

Can someone who've read the books tell what going on at Dorne? I've read the books but I skip the parts about Dorne, Myrcella, Iron islands and Asha since I find them boring.

Can someone who've read the books tell what going on at Dorne? I've read the books but I skip the parts about Dorne, Myrcella, Iron islands and Asha since I find them boring.

This is obviously a very brief and simplistic rundown, so If I miss anything you have questions on, feel free to ask.

Dorne

Simply, Doran Martell want's to put a Targaryen back on the Iron throne and overthrow Robert Baratheon's dynasty. His intent is to seal this alliance with a "Royal" marriage. His attempt to do this with Arianne and Viserys failed due to Khal Drogo killing Viserys before anything could be arranged, as has his latest attempt with Quentyn and Daenerys, which failed because Dany didn't want to marry him, and he got himself killed by a Dragon. Doran seeks an opportune moment to strike, but his family see him as weak because he has not done anything that they could see for years. He eventually reveals his plans to his family, and begs for their patience. A lot of what happens with Dorne in ADWD is laying the groundwork for stuff that will happen in TWOW/ADOS.

Also, a couple of the Sand Snakes are sent to Kings Landing to "scope it out", and find out about certain things. Tyene, playing a Septa, aims to find out as much as she can about the new High Septon, who controls the sizeable faith militant in Kings Landing. Her sister, Nymeria Sand, is sent to Kings Landing to fill the Dornish seat on the small council.

Myrcella

Before Doran Martell reveals his intent to his family, they themselves plot away seeking to do various things. Arianne Martell seeks to place Myrcella on the Iron throne and cause a war with the Lannister's. The Dornish follow an "oldest child inherits, regardless of gender" law. Thus, in Arianne's eyes, Myrcella should be Queen, which due to a marriage pact made by Tyion when he was Hand Of The King, would see Doran's youngest son, Trystane, eventually become King.

As Arianne attempts to take Myrcella to a secret location, someone betrays her, and they run into Areo Hotah, Doran's captain of the guards. He kills the Kingsguard member Arys Oakheart, in Dorne to protect Myrcella, but corrupted by Arianne. As he flee's, Gerold Dayne , a member of Arianne's party, seeking to provoke a war with the Lannisters, attempts to kill Myrcella, but he only wounds her (she loses an ear and her face is scarred).

After some plotting by Doran, they decide to reveal Myrcella's injuries to another member of the Kingsguard, Balon Swann, and place all the blame on Gerold Dayne. They even blame him for killing Arys Oakheart, although we know that he was killed by Areo Hotah. Balon Swann accompanies a group of Dornish who set out to bring justice to Gerold Dayne, but what happens is yet to be written.

You also mention that you skip what happens on the Iron Islands and Asha, so if you want a very brief rundown on those, let me know and I'll write something.

Edited by Chris_C

This is obviously a very brief and simplistic rundown, so If I miss anything you have questions on, feel free to ask.

Dorne

Simply, Doran Martell want's to put a Targaryen back on the Iron throne and overthrow Robert Baratheon's dynasty. His intent is to seal this alliance with a "Royal" marriage. His attempt to do this with Arianne and Viserys failed due to Khal Drogo killing Viserys before anything could be arranged, as has his latest attempt with Quentyn and Daenerys, which failed because Dany didn't want to marry him, and he got himself killed by a Dragon. Doran seeks an opportune moment to strike, but his family see him as weak because he has not done anything that they could see for years. He eventually reveals his plans to his family, and begs for their patience. A lot of what happens with Dorne in ADWD is laying the groundwork for stuff that will happen in TWOW/ADOS.

Also, a couple of the Sand Snakes are sent to Kings Landing to "scope it out", and find out about certain things. Tyene, playing a Septa, aims to find out as much as she can about the new High Septon, who controls the sizeable faith militant in Kings Landing. Her sister, Nymeria Sand, is sent to Kings Landing to fill the Dornish seat on the small council.

Myrcella

Before Doran Martell reveals his intent to his family, they themselves plot away seeking to do various things. Arianne Martell seeks to place Myrcella on the Iron throne and cause a war with the Lannister's. The Dornish follow an "oldest child inherits, regardless of gender" law. Thus, in Arianne's eyes, Myrcella should be Queen, which due to a marriage pact made by Tyion when he was Hand Of The King, would see Doran's youngest son, Trystane, eventually become King.

As Arianne attempts to take Myrcella to a secret location, someone betrays her, and they run into Areo Hotah, Doran's captain of the guards. He kills the Kingsguard member Arys Oakheart, in Dorne to protect Myrcella, but corrupted by Arianne. As he flee's, Gerold Dayne , a member of Arianne's party, seeking to provoke a war with the Lannisters, attempts to kill Myrcella, but he only wounds her (she loses an ear and her face is scarred).

After some plotting by Doran, they decide to reveal Myrcella's injuries to another member of the Kingsguard, Balon Swann, and place all the blame on Gerold Dayne. They even blame him for killing Arys Oakheart, although we know that he was killed by Areo Hotah. Balon Swann accompanies a group of Dornish who set out to bring justice to Gerold Dayne, but what happens is yet to be written.

You also mention that you skip what happens on the Iron Islands and Asha, so if you want a very brief rundown on those, let me know and I'll write something.

Cheers mate. Yeah, a rundown on Iron Islands and Asha would be great.

Also, what's the last we see of Arya? I remember her venturing into the underground room where they skin the corpses and changing her face. Is that it?

Its been a while since I've read the books.

Edited by RDJ

Cheers mate. Yeah, a rundown on Iron Islands and Asha would be great.

Also, what's the last we see of Arya? I remember her venturing into the underground room where they skin the corpses and changing her face. Is that it?

Its been a while since I've read the books.

Iron Islands

Well, when Balon dies (under very suspicious circumstances), there is a kingsmoot to decide the next ruler of the Iron Islands. Euron Greyjoy (Balon's brother) appears out of the blue the day after Balon's death, and makes grand promises about conquering Westeros with the Iron born if he is to be elected King. He has what he claims to be a Dragon horn, which binds a Dragon to the owner of the horn, which he later sends with Victarion on the quest to bring Daenerys back to Westeros to be his Queen (before Victarion has the idea that he'll take Daenerys for himself) which impresses a lot of the Lords and they elect him King. One Lord (can't remember the name, but he was a major Lord, refuses to follow Euron, so he is killed and Euron takes his cloak as a token and symbol of what happens to those who oppose him. The Dragon horn is an interesting prospect, because we know very little about it, aside from the fact that kills the person who uses it, which Moqorro (the red priest Victarion saves from a wreckage on his way to Meereen) informs Victarion of.

As for the reaving currently taking place, well, so far it's been rather successful. The Ironborn have pillaged Villages on the coast of the Reach, and infact control the Shield Islands (4 small islands positioned at the entrance to the Mander - the main river in the Reach, which flows through Highgarden). With most of the Reach army in the Crownlands, there aren't many men left to defend. What men there are left are led by Garlan Tyrell, supposedly one of, if not the, best swordsmen left in Westeros, but the Reachmen cannot match the Ironborn's strength at Sea (although they have more ships en route), so for now it looks as if the reaving will continue to be successful, and may even turn to one of the larger cities (probably not Highgarden, but The Arbor and Oldtown are very close, and coastal assaults would be possible on both.

Asha

Following her failed attempt at being crowned at the Kingsmoot, she goes back into the North to Deepwood Motte. As time goes on her men become unhappy, at a lack of food and the cold, and Stannis Baratheon is on his way. The Ironborn attempt to flee, but are cut down by Stannis's better equipped host. He thinks about sacrificing her to R'Hllor, and his men want this to, but he decides against it because he thinks she will be useful in the future. The last part of her story in ADWD is when the Braavosi banker Tycho Nestoris arrives at Stannis' camp, with a severely messed up Theon (who has just escaped Winterfell with Jeyne Poole) in tow.

And with Arya, iirc the last part is after she gets a new face, she gets her first proper "contract" with the faceless men, where she is to kill a merchant type who is scamming people out of money. She is forbidden from killing anyone but her target, so she slips a poisoned coin into his purse, so when he bites it to check its genuine, he dies. She goes back to the House of Black and White and gets a sort of promotion, and is told that the next day she gets another disguise, and is going to become an apprentice under someone other than the Kindly man.

Edited by Chris_C

I have three more episodes of Season 3 recorded and ready to go. Should be bang up to date by Season 4.

Sky have just advertised Seasons 1,2 and 3 are available on "Box Set" now as well.

I have three more episodes of Season 3 recorded and ready to go. Should be bang up to date by Season 4.

Sky have just advertised Seasons 1,2 and 3 are available on "Box Set" now as well.

By the end of Season 4, you'll be wanting to read the books.

Anybody read or is reading the books?!!?

I will after the TV series has ended. I don't want to risk either spoiling it, or being disappointed by revisions/omissions. I've made that mistake before (Star Wars III most notably)

I will after the TV series has ended. I don't want to risk either spoiling it, or being disappointed by revisions/omissions. I've made that mistake before (Star Wars III most notably)

Absolutely brilliant.

Better than the TV series for me, even though the TV series is really really great for me. Totally recommended! ;)

You'll enjoy it!

I read all the books.  They kinda get worse after the 4th one which is a shame :(

I don't think GRRM will ever finish them.  Think the series will catch up to it before he's even done his 6th book!

Funny you should mention that actually, because he's recently been speaking about it, and he has said that "it might be tight on the last book", and given the show have a plan to run for seven series, it actually gives me a little hope that he's nearly done with TWOW.

There is a rumour that his planned "exciting announcement", expected to take place at his season 4 premiere showing/party, is going to be the announcement of the next book. That would probably put the book at a late 2014 / early 2015 release.