dualtamac

Snooker

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, TheManc said:

Hard to look past Trump tbh. It's the obvious choice though.

Such a shame ROS lost out due to Holt winning the shootout.

Yeah agree about ROS but he's been far too casual in his game this season. 

He may play the Gibraltar Open before the Crucible.

Edited by PVAD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, PVAD said:

Yeah agree about ROS but he's been far too casual in his game this season. 

He may play the Gibraltar Open before the Crucible.

i'll be amazed if he plays in that lol. His sister came out and said they've been having family problems this year so maybe that explains his form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bingtao demolishes Murphy to reach the final. 

Trump favourite but stranger things have happened

Edit: Trump wins and equals record of the likes of Hendry, O'Sullivan and Ding in winning 5th ranking event of season and could break that record with 2 tournaments left for him.

Unreal season.

Edited by PVAD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TheManc Trump is human lol 

Donaldson bundled him out 3-1 in the Players League semis and then won it 3 zip v Dott thus securing his place in next year's Champion of  Champions Trophy!

ROS will not be competing as you suspected so just has the World to play in. 

Trump plays the Gibraltar will probably be a shoot out between him and The Thunder and then there is the Tour Championship fot the top 8 according to the ranking for 1 year which doesn't include ROS.

Trump could end up with 8 Titles this year but not sure the Gibraltar or Tour are ranking events?

 

Edited by PVAD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PVAD said:

@TheManc Trump is human lol 

Donaldson bundled him out 3-1 in the Players League semis and then won it 3 zip v Dott thus securing his place in next year's Champion of  Champions Trophy!

 

Nice pay day for him. 

Trump hut 700 centuries in this tournament. Scary. When you think ROS is about 340 ahead, I reckon Trump will overtake that record in about 6 seasons. He's got two tournaments to hit around 14 centuries to reach 100 for this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump makes history he won the behind closed doors Gibraltar Open recently to make it 6 Titles in a season surpassing giants like Hendry. Davis and O'Sullivan.

World Championship quite rightly put back until August the earliest. He could make it 7!! 

Still don't think he can be classed as a true great until he does it like the greats mentioned above year in year out for at least a decade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PVAD said:

Trump makes history he won the behind closed doors Gibraltar Open recently to make it 6 Titles in a season surpassing giants like Hendry. Davis and O'Sullivan.

World Championship quite rightly put back until August the earliest. He could make it 7!! 

Still don't think he can be classed as a true great until he does it like the greats mentioned above year in year out for at least a decade.

I think he will. To be fair he may 'only' have 1 WC, 1 Masters and 1 UK, but he's been winning titles since 2011 now. It's his 17th ranking title - puts him joint 6th with Mark Selby. He's already had an all time great career - the only guys above him atm would be the very few with multiple of each major. He's 5 on the century breaks and will probably be in the top 2 or 3 this time next year. He's the most brutal scorer of all time - even more than O'Sullivan. He's 14 years younger than him, about 300 centuries behind, but averages ~70-80 per season. He will smash the record in 5 seasons if he sticks to his game. All this talk of ROS making 1000 centuries, but Trump may well hit 2000 when it's all said and done if his career lasts that long. 

It helps that they have more tournaments now though. When you think from 05-08 we only had like 3-5 ranking tournaments a season - imagine how many more the likes of ROS, Higgins, Williams and Hendry would have had if they had an extra 30 tournaments to play in that time frame. 

Hard to look past Trump for the WC. Maybe Robertson 2nd fav probably.

 

 

 

Edited by TheManc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember Snooker being fairly popular growing up (circa late 90's). Ken Doherty.

What happened to it?

Darts, in contrast, has become very popular and is growing each year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, O said:

I remember Snooker being fairly popular growing up (circa late 90's). Ken Doherty.

What happened to it?

Darts, in contrast, has become very popular and is growing each year.

It has waned in popularity over the years probably because, apart from the  World Championship/Masters (BBC), it's not shown on major channels for instance ITV4 and Eurosport now show a lot of the snooker tournaments whereas before it was prime TV hence having a larger following. SKY haven't been interested in snooker for awhile so would be interesting if they Sky'd it up in their own inimitable way.

The fans though still go in numbers to the live matches so in that respect it's still got a following.

There is a great one match shoot out tournament which is basically a timed shot frame. It's not silent and the crowd can shout out at any stage of the frame it's good fun a huge change from the silence at usual snooker tournaments.

Barry Hearn is the main guy in snooker at the moment and he's trying to "jazz" it up to bring it back to the mainstream.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, O said:

I remember Snooker being fairly popular growing up (circa late 90's). Ken Doherty.

What happened to it?

Darts, in contrast, has become very popular and is growing each year.

Snooker is now popular again worldwide and growing at a very fast rate. It has the highest ratings on ITV4 of any program I believe, even more so than darts (but idk which darts tournament is on itv). 

It died a death in the mid 2000s once it lost it's cigarette sponsorships but Barry Hearn took over in ~2010 and now it's a global sport. It has tournaments on almost every week - Masters/UK/WC on the BBC still, ITV4 have 5 tournaments and Eurosport carries about 12. It's gone very global though. In China it is absolutely huge. 

Doherty is still around, albeit barely. The old generation of O'Sullivan, Higgins, Williams are all still massive names, albeit having bad seasons atm.

I believe the prize money for darts and snooker is about the same atm. 

 

Edited by TheManc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, TheManc said:

Snooker is now popular again worldwide and growing at a very fast rate. It has the highest ratings on ITV4 of any program I believe, even more so than darts (but idk which darts tournament is on itv). 

It died a death in the mid 2000s once it lost it's cigarette sponsorships but Barry Hearn took over in ~2010 and now it's a global sport. It has tournaments on almost every week - Masters/UK/WC on the BBC still, ITV4 have 5 tournaments and Eurosport carries about 12. It's gone very global though. In China it is absolutely huge. 

Doherty is still around, albeit barely. The old generation of O'Sullivan, Higgins, Williams are all still massive names, albeit having bad seasons atm.

I believe the prize money for darts and snooker is about the same atm. 

 

My brother used to be a big snooker fan. Sports fan really. Glued to the Tennis, Snooker, Golf, etc. In the 90's and early 00's.

But he would rarely watch Snooker these days.

The good thing about these sports is the you can play them until you're in your late 50's or more. Huge earning potential in 25+ year career.

I mainly only watch the big tournaments for these sports. But I would watch a good amount of golf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.