Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/mug-seller-confuses-barack-obama-for-chris-smalling   An unnamed company has tried to sell Chris Smalling mugs to England fans, only for the merchandise to show the face of

If you wear a poppy, do you wear it when you play five a side? Why do we expect footballers to wear them? Sport is sport. It's politicised enough without forcing people to wear poppies. Why

You shaw?

36 minutes ago, John Locke said:

England have beaten belgium. It wasn't a convincing display from what i heard but the result will do southgate no harm. Still we won't win a major tournament until we can out football tops teams as opposed to sneaking wins in lower stake matches.

Belgium were in complete control until the ref awarded England a soft penalty for grappling at a corner, which happens in every game.

England then grew into it and were probably worthy of a draw. The Mount winner was heavily deflected goal.

Lukaku played very well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, O said:

Belgium were in complete control until the ref awarded England a soft penalty for grappling at a corner, which happens in every game.

England then grew into it and were probably worthy of a draw. The Mount winner was heavily deflected goal.

Lukaku played very well.

It was a very defensive set up by england. I guess Southgate prioritized a result over long term strategy. Henderson and rice in front of a 5 man defense will not win a world cup. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2020 at 08:57, John Locke said:

It was a very defensive set up by england. I guess Southgate prioritized a result over long term strategy. Henderson and rice in front of a 5 man defense will not win a world cup. 

Funnily enough, being pragmatic at tournaments often works. Keep it tight. Win 1-0 or take it to penalties.

Portugal were very pragmatic in 2016. Greece in 2004.

And France 2018 were very structured. Lucas Hernandez and Pavard, the LB & RB, were CBs playing at FB. They had Kanté in front of the defence and even Matuidi at LM who is usually a box to box CM with a high work ethic.

The 4-3 win against Argentina and 4-2 win against Croatia made it look like they were an adventurous team. They kept it tight in most games. Because they had match winners in Pogba, Griezmann and Mbappé, that was enough creativity and flair to win them games in the big moments. 

England could have a similar setup to France's if Southgate wanted to attempt it. The main issue is that England don't have as good defenders. But they have match winners in Kane, Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Grealish and TAA.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, O said:

Funnily enough, being pragmatic at tournaments often works. Keep it tight. Win 1-0 or take it to penalties.

Portugal were very pragmatic in 2016. Greece in 2004.

And France 2018 were very structured. Lucas Hernandez and Pavard, the LB & RB, were CBs playing at FB. They had Kanté in front of the defence and even Matuidi at LM who is usually a box to box CM with a high work ethic.

The 4-3 win against Argentina and 4-2 win against Croatia made it look like they were an adventurous team. They kept it tight in most games. Because they had match winners in Pogba, Griezmann and Mbappé, that was enough creativity and flair to win them games in the big moments. 

England could have a similar setup to France's if Southgate wanted to attempt it. The main issue is that England don't have as good defenders. But they have match winners in Kane, Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Grealish and TAA.

 

At the moment though england have gone too much that way. A back five shielded by henderson and rice. Both are good defensive and hardworking but they don't offer enough in attack. Playing the killer ball, dictating the tempo, make intelligent runs. Rice and someone like oxlade Chamberlain or an equivalent might work. We saw at the WC that england lacked a bit in the final third by adopting such tactics. Since then southgate tried to deploy a more attacking formation. Results have been mixed but its more likely to yield improvement long term. 

Most of the teams you mentioned were better drilled and superior tactically and technically to england. Thats not to say england dont have exceptional individuals but continental players still have the edge in tactical nouse and team ethic. Germany are the perfect illustration of this. Not always brilliant individually but they know how to complement one another as a team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

I'd take the following 23 players to Euro 2020 if I were Southgate:

GK: Pickford, Pope, Henderson

LB: Shaw, *Chilwell

CB: Maguire, Stones, Keane, Mings

RB: TAA, Walker

DM/CM: Henderson, Rice, Bellingham, Mount, Foden

LW/RW: Grealish, Sancho, Sterling, Rashford, Saka (Can also play LWB/LB)

ST: Kane, DCL

This is England's best chance since 1996.

Edited by O
*Just realised that Justin did his ACL
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...