DJSmith

Rio Ferdinand Thread

I think the rational thing would be to not grant him a license. He is clearly going through a difficult time, arguably suffering mental health issues. He is a single parent with young children. Getting into the ring now is just bonkers. I'd hate to think that there were money men influencing his decision.

I think Rio is very brave here. Sure maybe he's nuts doing it, but what about Andrew Flintoff who got in the ring, though he only boxed once. I think Rio should do one match, and if he does well,and wins then maybe have another, if it goes to shit, then quit. 

4 hours ago, The Spanish Inquisitor said:

I think the rational thing would be to not grant him a license. He is clearly going through a difficult time, arguably suffering mental health issues. He is a single parent with young children. Getting into the ring now is just bonkers. I'd hate to think that there were money men influencing his decision.

Why?

There's no danger of him failing to get a license.

I never think a 38 year old with zero experience taking a professional fight is a good idea, especially doing it half-arsed at a higher weight. But he's athletic, protected and there's hundreds of fighters out there happy to get paid to lose so it might not be the total disaster that's easy to imagine.

18 minutes ago, pearson77 said:

38 years old..must be nuts! I boxed in the army aged 15-16 and it fucking killed me!

I did karate for a long time and the older I got, the more injuries I picked up. I ended up fucking my ACL up when I was taken down with a foot sweep that I should have dodged. Took up Tai Chi after that. My old gym teacher boxed for his regiment back in the 50s and he used to love showing off his moves.