DJSmith

Rio Ferdinand Thread

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/9287192/premier-league-rio-ferdinand-hoping-for-new-manchester-united-contract

This cannot happen, surely?

The last thing we need are players who are clearly past it gaining renewed confidence in the possibility of Giggs becoming the new manager, even though Rio states that it is not a factor as to who the next manager will be. Yeah, right.

Rio staying will definitely send out the wrong message and stutter our attempt to turn out the old and bring in the new.

Comments, please....

Edited by DJSmith

I would hope the club would have the common sense to not enter contract negotiations with any player until an appointment has been made.

Rio has been a great player for the club but he should be leaving in the summer. He should be looking to the MLS for a few years and then come back as a coach when he's retired.

It may mean that Giggs is going to stay and he wants to have Rio.

Or I can't understand it instead. He's been really good for us like Aard said, but I think it's time for him to go somewhere else and for the team to save some great money by not renewing his contract. 

I wouldn't be totally against offering him a new 1 year deal if he was to accept a lesser role and mabye even take a slight wage cut.

He isn't the player he once was but he's still capable of playing well and doing a decent job when needed but the main reason for me is that we've had so many changes this season and looks like that will continue next seasn with Vidic leaving and Evra and Giggs likely to leave as players too, which is a lot of experince to lose in the one year. He's also great to have in the dressing room especially for the youngsters and he can teach the young defenders a lot..

In saying that I wouldn't be dissapointed if he wasvto leave but if he did I do think we would definatly need to bring in a very good experomced center defender

Regardless of who manages next, Rio should go for two reasons

1. His very public disrespect for the Moyes regime.

2. Being a shite CB for most of the season, with no reason to believe he will improve with age against him. 

Without taking anything away from the exemplary player he was in his prime, or his substantial contributions to United's past glory, please in the nicest way I can put it, move on, Ferdy.

Wouldn't lose sleep over it either way, whether he stays or goes.

His experience at the highest level is invaluable. Like one or two others have said, we could potentially lose Vidic, Giggs, Evra already this summer.

Add Rio to that list and that's 4 of our most experienced players all leaving together, which will be a loss to the squad overall.

He was outstanding last season. Has been largely poor this season, but so have many others. If he can find the form he showed last year or even near it, he'd still prove to be a very useful squad player. Sadly though, I think he's done at this level and may just look elsewhere in the summer.

Edited by Twixy

Depends if we plan on giving Jones/Smalling a proper run. If we do, then Rio should stick around for one more season. Then in 2015 we'll have an idea of whether we need to buy a world class defender, or a younger one as back up.

This whole "behaviour" thing is also overrated by some. He send out maybe two tweets that can be described as cryptic right? Hasn't he been doing that for years. People seem to make out like he constantly crapped on Moyes because he said he didn't like to hear the team news on the day of the game (which the media then made a huge deal of). Don't see anyone mentioning Rooney's agent briefing the media on the pre season tour that he was upset when Moyes said some comments which sounded as if Rooney was back up to RVP.

Tbh if it was up to me I'd send Jones on loan to play every single game at CB, buy a WC defender and keep Rio as 4th choice for a final year, but that won't happen.

I would say keep him for another year as an experienced head - but what's the need when you have Butt and Scholes around anyway?

Besides how wages could be better spent elsewhere now.

Apparently was told by Woodward yesterday he's not getting a new contract.

And Chris Woods has also been told he's being replaced soon.

Apparently.  (never believe anything til it happens!)

BBC have the Rio story now.

No new contract. Leaving United but he still intends to keep playing.

2 down, 1 to go?

When the guy on Five Live mentioned breaking news about United I thought it was about LVG!

Edited by RVPred