khoazany

[U21s] The Josh Harrop Thread

From ManUtd.com:

A real flair player with an eye for goal and confidence in his own ability, he only made one another substitute appearance for the Under-18s in addition to that display during the 2012/2013 term.

A four-goal show in the Milk Cup rout of Revo Express suggested he is making fine progress and maturing into a player to watch out for but he was introduced gently in the Academy side last season.

Harrop made nine appearances, three as a starter, and scored a solitary goal during a 4-2 defeat at Southampton.

Much more is expected this time around and a regular place in Paul McGuinness' midfield has been secured with his ability to set up chances for his team-mates a key feature of his game. By driving forward and delivering tantalising crosses, he has caught the eye and also found the net himself.

One of the most influential players for the U18s this season, Harrop is a predominantly right-side midfielder who likes to set up chances for his teammates as well as kill the game by himself. He will hopefully push forward for a regular place in the U21s this season, have already featured for the U19s in the U19s Champion League.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M0Gs9fTyYU

article-0-19FD7FE300000578-438_634x423.j

article-2540896-1AB8F05A00000578-613_634

AyjxyFmCEAAg58l.jpg

Edited by khoazany

Harrop looks to McNair as an example

Manchester United midfielder Josh Harrop is using Paddy McNair as a role model as he continues to shine at Under-21 level.

The England Under-20 international scored in the last outing against Norwich City and is looking forward to lining up in the home clash with Liverpool on Monday night at Leigh Sports Village. There is free entry for all fans if they register atwww.leighsportsvillage.co.uk/manutd.

Harrop has made a successful transition into Warren Joyce's side and is likely to be a key figure when the Merseysiders provide the opposition. As Northern Ireland defender McNair has been one of the key individuals to step up to senior level this term, the path is clear for others to follow under Louis van Gaal.

"It's always good to see young lads progressing at the club and doing well when making it into the first team," Harrop told MUTV in an interview to be screened in full during the build-up to Monday's live fixture. "It's the aim of every young lad at Manchester United and proves the manager will play you if you're good enough.

"Paddy has come on massively. He's playing first-team football and has done well. The manager has just stuck with him, he's proved he is good enough to play, so he has played. That's the aim and what I want to be doing – progressing, playing regularly in the Under-21s and proving I can play at that level. Then I want to progress into the first team at Manchester United."

source: http://www.manutd.com/en/Players-And-Staff/Reserves/Reserves-News/2015/Jan/josh-harrop-aims-to-follow-in-paddy-mcnair-footsteps.aspx

Edited by jokerz

Think him and Goss both signed a new 2 years deal with Joel Pereira a new 3 years deal.For the rest of his age group Wilson and A.Pereira are already first teamers, Willock were on 2 years deal so not up yet this summer and not sure about Fletcher but I think he signed 1 year extension.

Edited by khoazany

With Wilson already in the first team, do you think there is any future for Fletcher here? He may just end up playing for the reserves and then move on. 

If he doesn't do anything extraordinary this season I think he will never play for the first team.Very hard to predict about those players like Fletcher, has good but no extraordinary ability.

Edited by khoazany

If he doesn't do anything extraordinary this season I think he will never play for the first team.Very hard to predict about those players like Fletcher, has good but no extraordinary ability.

True, especially being a striker, unless he is sensational very hard to break into the first team. Lets wait and see. But looking at the reserves and academy do we have any sensational attacking players coming through... read a lot about the lad named Bruno Gomes. Hope he can make the grade. 

Think him and Goss both signed a new 2 years deal with Joel Pereira a new 3 years deal.For the rest of his age group Wilson and A.Pereira are already first teamers, Willock were on 2 years deal so not up yet this summer and not sure about Fletcher but I think he signed 1 year extension.

Willock was offered a new deal because according to the PL list he was warked with offered.

True, especially being a striker, unless he is sensational very hard to break into the first team. Lets wait and see. But looking at the reserves and academy do we have any sensational attacking players coming through... read a lot about the lad named Bruno Gomes. Hope he can make the grade. 

Bruno Gomes never joined United.

UNITED FAN HARROP HAS FIRST-TEAM DESIRE

Josh Harrop is hoping to follow his Manchester United Under-21 colleagues into the first-team squad after recovering from a hernia problem.

The skilful midfielder got through a full 90 minutes in the 2-0 defeat to Norwich City at Carrow Road on Monday and is already relishing the chance for another run-out in next week's fixture against Liverpool.

After training with the senior squad ahead of the recent Champions League tie with Wolfsburg, the 19-year-old is keen to have more chances to impress as he recaptures his best form.

"I feel like I'm getting to the stage now where I'm getting older and progressing," he told MUTV. "I just need to keep working hard, day in and day out, in training and do my best. We'll see what happens but, hopefully, I'll get my chance in the first team.

"A few of the lads have been involved in it this season and that's my aim. That's what I'm here for. I want to train hard and get a chance. Cameron [Borthwick-Jackson] came on for 20 minutes recently and that's the aim for any young lad at United.

"I've been training before a few of the Champions League games and been in and out when we've needed players coming over. It's great getting asked and good experience to be with the first team. It's nice to get involved and for the manager to see you. A few of the first-team players I speak to and get along with always help you settle in."

With another match on the horizon, against Liverpool at Leigh Sports Village on Monday night, United will be keen to bounce back from the defeat at Norwich.

"What we want to do is remain Under-21 champions," said Harrop. "We never go into games thinking it's just the Under-21s, we go into them to win. There's a great atmosphere among the lads and we want to win every game we play.

"It's always a good game against Liverpool. They're always feisty and a few fans will come down to watch. I've played Liverpool in loads of matches as I've been here since I was nine - we've had some battles and a few of the players are still there who I played against when I was young.

"As a United fan and a United player, it's always big to play against Liverpool with the rivalry between both teams being quite fierce. It's built into you at a young age and everyone will be up for it.

"Being a local lad, I think it helps you. I'm not saying you have more desire than anybody else but there is a special desire inside you that makes you try as hard as you can to play for the team you support," added Harrop. "You do the best you can for that team to make them a better side and I want to try to get into the first team to show that in the future.

"I'm working hard and am keeping my body strong in the gym to prevent any other injuries. I'm getting back to full fitness and want to train with the first team a few times again, impressing the manager, and maybe getting a chance."

source: http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Exclusive-Interviews/2015/Nov/josh-harrop-aiming-to-follow-pals-into-first-team.aspx

7 hours ago, Munroe said:

Happy for him. Hopefully he gets a contract extension.

As I said in the match thread, I don't think he'd have played today if they thought he was leaving. I will say this, if I were a promoted team or Championship club, and a young player impressed in a United game and was on a free, I'd be on the phone.

EDIT: Just seen his goal on MUTV, lovely composure, and a great finish.

Edited by MikeM

Loved the way ran on to the pass from Pogba, then the composure to beat two opponent players, the shot to score the goal and then loved the celebration too..... 

another wonderful memory added to the UTD treasure.