versa

Forum Membership

Watching the growth of this forum's membership is like watching grass grow.......

What happened..... or what is going to happen (some initiatives to be taken were mentioned quite a while ago)?

Not that it matters though since most of us knew one another already, basically the same core group from MUT. Just wondering aloud.

Edited by versa

Do the moderators/admins even want the forum to grow? I'm genuinely asking because they aren't doing anything about it.

You know this how? Again your commenting on something you know zero about.

It's not as simple as clicking your fingers and members appearing. We are in quite a competitive forum market.

You know this how? Again your commenting on something you know zero about.

It's not as simple as clicking your fingers and members appearing. We are in quite a competitive forum market.

Thank you for that condescending post. You are not an authority on my knowledge so please don't make assumptions about my capabilities. 

Please tell me what kind of SEO and Social Media Initiatives you have taken to increase the forum visibility and brand? 

Your Twitter account hasn't posted anything since January 8, 2015. 

Your Facebook account hasn't posted anything since July 20, 2014.  

Your forum is not on the first page of google results for "Manchester United Forum" 

Edit: Dave, I can be rather blunt with my words sometimes but it wasn't a criticism of you or the other admins/moderators.

Apparently the last person to sign up on the forum was me as Spoderman on Jan 14th. Versa's got a point that there's no new membership. 

Edited by Paul Football

Who cares?

MUT had thousands of members on paper, but less than 200 of them were active on a weekly basis.

You still have 80% of the guys who used to post regularly on there. Are people seriously in this to make money, or to become a huge forum?

The three or four major United forums have their brand established and are here to stay. I personally couldn't care if nobody new joined ever again.

Who cares?

MUT had thousands of members on paper, but less than 200 of them were active on a weekly basis.

You still have 80% of the guys who used to post regularly on there. Are people seriously in this to make money, or to become a huge forum?

The three or four major United forums have their brand established and are here to stay. I personally couldn't care if nobody new joined ever again.

Yeah, I agree with this. This forum might be small but we're all such a friendly bunch  :)

Edited by Paul Football

Thank you for that condescending post. You are not an authority on my knowledge so please don't make assumptions about my capabilities. 

Please tell me what kind of SEO and Social Media Initiatives you have taken to increase the forum visibility and brand? 

Your Twitter account hasn't posted anything since January 8, 2015. 

Your Facebook account hasn't posted anything since July 20, 2014.  

Your forum is not on the first page of google results for "Manchester United Forum"

Well I'll address your posts exactly how it deserves to be addressed, because you try to suggest we are doing nothing nor have we anything discussed. Don't like it, tough.

All being discussed at the moment. People preferred small community in the past and we stuck by that, now we are looking to grow and expand again.

Yeah, I agree with this. This forum might be small but we're all such a friendly bunch :)

If you have any ideas/solutions/experimental methods feel free to let us know.

An SEO consultant has been discussed as has social media paid advertising.

This place makes none of the staff any money. If we have a million members, it will not be sold to a coperate entity by any of the current staff.

If you have any ideas/solutions/experimental methods feel free to let us know.

An SEO consultant has been discussed as has social media paid advertising.

This place makes none of the staff any money. If we have a million members, it will not be sold to a coperate entity by any of the current staff.

The way i see it you've got 2 resources. Time and Money 

Since you're a privately funded forum with limited funds, I personally think you're better off saving your money for server costs. Rather than giving it to some SEO consultant, even if you outsource it to India for £5/day. 

What you do have is time. I think you're better off learning the basics yourselves and doing 15-30 minutes a day each.

If you interact with the twitter community regularly through humour, well written articles, clever tweets, a funny utd related pic or gif. it will generate interest.  

Piers Morgan has 4m followers and Rio has 6m. If they retweet something from you then you'll get a lot of free visibility.

I have some work to do so i'll stop here but you get the general idea. Hope this helps and for the record I wasn't trying to be a prick earlier. 

Ask not what your forum can do for you, but what you can do for your forum.

The United fans I know, I'll encourage them all to sign up.

If they're anything like you, give it a miss.

The Facebook account is a waste of time in my opinion anyway. It's not really for our kind of market. Twitter I do agree with @Paul Football but we're talking about all this behind the scenes and will continue to do so.

Any ideas are welcome from anyone. The staff will continue to look into all possiblities. 

The forum has done amazing for 1 year of being active. The lack of new members is something that was gonna be addressed 'cause most of the members here are from the old forum. How much advertising has this forum been given, I'm sure it's been plugged my many here. As for the next step in growing the forum, this is just me, it looks pretty fine at the moment. Competing with other forums with more posts/members would take some doing. I know we want bigger and better things, but the main thing is we have each other here, and one day an opportunity may arise for new steps.

I was not a member of the old forum, so I would like to make this suggestion because its not easy to find this Forum.

Like Paul Football said if we search in Google as 'Man Utd forum' this Forum is currently showing up on the 3rd page. I feel that is the reason the people signing up are lesser compared to other forums. 

Many people will not go till 3rd page, they will sign up to other forums in the first page or second, there are lot of inactive forums in the 1st and 2nd pages, I dont know whether it is possible but it will make a huge difference if this website shows up in 1st or 2nd page.

I am sure if people had a look at this, then they will sign up, this forum has a lot of features and active users.

Twitter and Facebook might increase the membership but most of the people will not make a single post imo. 

I was not a member of the old forum, so I would like to make this suggestion because its not easy to find this Forum.

Like Paul Football said if we search in Google as 'Man Utd forum' this Forum is currently showing up on the 3rd page. I feel that is the reason the people signing up are lesser compared to other forums. 

Many people will not go till 3rd page, they will sign up to other forums in the first page or second, there are lot of inactive forums in the 1st and 2nd pages, I dont know whether it is possible but it will make a huge difference if this website shows up in 1st or 2nd page.

I am sure if people had a look at this, then they will sign up, this forum has a lot of features and active users.

Twitter and Facebook might increase the membership but most of the people will not make a single post imo. 

This is strange.  I googled both "Manchester United Forum" and "Man Utd Forum" and both showed this forum on the front page, fifth website from the top. 

Unless my Google search is conditioned to be biased in this aspect...........

This is strange.  I googled both "Manchester United Forum" and "Man Utd Forum" and both showed this forum on the front page, fifth website from the top. 

Unless my Google search is conditioned to be biased in this aspect...........

I don't know, may be it is because of location? but for me it showing up in 3rd page

10htugm.png

so how did you find this place?

the forum is on the third page for me as well.

I searched till the 3rd page. I used to look into the websites before signing up and saw this website, it was so similar to another United forum where I was a member before it got closed, so I signed up here.

Paul you have a lot of fucking nerve bitching about the place when you come and go for months at a time, how about you fucking do something to help?

As a member, I have no obligation to donate time or money to this place but I do help the community by making threads and posting on here. Also please look at my suggestions as constructive criticism and desire for a better end user experience.