jokerz

[U18s] The Joe Riley Thread

Before everybody forget like  his thread in this forum..

Maturing Riley earns praise from McGuinness

Manchester United Academy coach Paul McGuinness was delighted with his players' performances at the Mercedes-Benz Junior Cup and is hoping a number of the stars take their form into the FA Youth Cup tie with Hull City.

Joe Riley won the Player of the Tournament in Germany, edging Timothy Fosu-Mensah for the prize in advance of the final, where Joel Castro Pereira emerged as the hero against Stuttgart.

McGuinness felt it was very much a team effort in the six-a-side event but is delighted with Riley's progress, and the midfielder is expected to feature in the next outing against the Tigers at Old Trafford on Tuesday, when there is free entry for all fans.

"Joe is improving a lot," stated McGuinness to ManUtd.com. "He was very secure in his play in Germany and quite mature - that showed in the games. It was exactly how you have to play, it can't all be frills and flicks and so on. You've got to be secure and make the right decisions, get up and down and stay with your man. He is developing that well now."

source: http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2015/Jan/joe-riley-earns-praise-from-manchester-united-coach-paul-mcguinness.aspx

Edited by khoazany

JOE RILEY ADAPTING TO FULL-BACK ROLE WITH UNITED UNDER-21S

Joe Riley is enjoying showing his versatility by playing at full-back for Manchester United's Under-21s.

The 18-year-old appeared at left-back in the 1-0 win at Sunderland on Monday night after making his name by playing predominantly as a winger for the Academy side. Coach Warren Joyce is always keen to utilise players in different positions in order to broaden their footballing education and Cameron Borthwick-Jackson's switch into the middle helped create a space on the flank.

"I've been training as a left-back for the last week or two so I'm guessing, as Donald [Love] has gone out on loan, Warren maybe does see me as a full-back," Riley told MUTV. "I do like playing full-back, to be fair, and I'm enjoying it.

"Warren says one of the positive parts of my game is my running power and he told me to get forward as much as can, if it is on to do so. I guess, as a right footer, I want to cut in on my right foot more often but I've being doing more crosses with my left foot in training so it's alright.

"I can be versatile, I guess, and I don't mind any position, to be honest, as long as I can get forward and play my part for the team."

The Reds triumphed in only a third league outing of the campaign thanks to Tyler Reid's second-half winner against the Black Cats.

"It was definitely a hard first half and we were under the cosh a little bit," added Riley. "In the second half, we came out, played our football and got the goal. In the last bit of the second half, we were holding on a bit but the team did really well to win.

"Tyler is usually a full-back but he's a big, powerful runner so he came on on the wing and made the run for Fletch [Ashley Fletcher] to flick on and did really well."

source: http://www.manutd.com/en/Players-And-Staff/Reserves/Reserves-News/2015/Oct/joe-riley-adapting-to-full-back-role-with-manchester-united-under-21s.aspx

Hate this news..

Riley secures Bradford City move

Manchester United defender Joe Riley has signed for Bradford City on a two-year contract.

The 21-year-old captained the Under-23s last season and scored a memorable goal in the best performance of the campaign at that level, a 2-1 victory against Liverpool at Anfield.

After making two first-team appearances during Louis van Gaal's reign, against Shrewsbury Town and Midtjylland, he was loaned to Sheffield United in 2017 but suffered a serious shoulder injury in training which curtailed his progress.

The spell with the Blades does mean the full-back has a little experience of life in League One and he will look to help the Bantams mount another challenge for promotion.

In a lengthy statement on his personal Twitter account, Joe said: "Manchester United has been my home, my family for the last 15 years. It is every boy's dream to play for this club and I can proudly say I have achieved this. 

"I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone - from all the coaches that have helped me along the way, the staff, the many players I've played alongside while growing up but, most importantly, the fans that have showed constant support throughout my whole time here.

"I have so many unforgettable memories and experiences that I'll forever be grateful for, but I personally feel now is the right time for me to move on and to start the next chapter of my career. I wish everyone at the club the very best and again thank you."

Everybody at United would like to wish Joe the very best of luck for the future.

source: http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2018/May/manchester-united-defender-joe-riley-signs-for-bradford-city-in-permanent-move.aspx