RedDevilDazzy

The Non League Thread

It's about time I started a thread like this, and I would like to atleast share my Non League team's progress, who are Maidstone United, my local team. If you follow a Non League team, post about their progress here. Okay, the last 4 games Maidstone have played, they've drawn 1-1, but here's the most annoying thing, they've lost the lead 4 fucking times, I kid you not. I don't know what's going on, but 4 draws in a row, and we can't hold on to a damn lead. We are currently 2nd in the Ryman Premier League, we are 3 points off the top, with 3 games in hand. Yes 3 games in hand due to the FA Cup stuff, and called off games due to the weather. There's only 1 automatic promotion place, and if we keep fucking up, we're have to settle for the Play Offs. We have had a good season so far, but we MUST win Saturday, we can't be dropping anymore points, if we had won those 4 games, we'd be a couple points clear of Margate (Who are top) I hope we can make our games in hand count. I wanna see us get promoted this season, that's the goal from now until the end of the season.

Yeah, it's annoying when a run like that happens. Aldershot kept throwing away games in injury time last season. Speaking of which, they're in the midst of one of their losing runs (Aldershot seem to loose four or five, and then win 3 or 4) Luckily we're 10 points off relegation, so we'll probably finish lower middle. The annoying thing is seeing all the players who we had in the League, doing well elsewhere ( I blame Gary Waddock mostly for that, he abandoned Aldershot for Wycombe, and then took most of the players with him) . We were probably always going back down after winning promotion in 2010 - Aldershot is just too small to thrive, the stadium is only 7,500 as many of you will know from United's trip there.

Good thread idea. 

I'm currently in the very early stages of making a documentary about AFC Hinckley, they're fan run and fan owned after the previous club Hinckley Town/United was disbanded last year after competing in the Skrill Premier South (may have been north) last season. The previous club was a mess, the ownership had many many issues, in fact the ownership of the stadium is even more of a mess and sadly the ones who have suffered at someone else's negligence have been the fans. They're currently playing 11 miles out of Hinckley "11 miles from home" which is possibly the title of the doc. 

As for the team they are currently 4th in the Midlands Football League Division one and hoping to gain promotion via either a title win.. which is unlikely being 9 points behind 1st which is the only promotion spot (so i'm lead to believe) but they are hoping for top 5 which means FA cup and IF a club in the league above folds they may be in contention to be promoted cause of that, but naturally they don't really want that to happen. 

Good thread idea. 

I'm currently in the very early stages of making a documentary about AFC Hinckley, they're fan run and fan owned after the previous club Hinckley Town/United was disbanded last year after competing in the Skrill Premier South (may have been north) last season. The previous club was a mess, the ownership had many many issues, in fact the ownership of the stadium is even more of a mess and sadly the ones who have suffered at someone else's negligence have been the fans. They're currently playing 11 miles out of Hinckley "11 miles from home" which is possibly the title of the doc. 

As for the team they are currently 4th in the Midlands Football League Division one and hoping to gain promotion via either a title win.. which is unlikely being 9 points behind 1st which is the only promotion spot (so i'm lead to believe) but they are hoping for top 5 which means FA cup and IF a club in the league above folds they may be in contention to be promoted cause of that, but naturally they don't really want that to happen. 

Would be interested in seeing that. Losing a club and seeing it rebuilt is such a journey of emotions. As United fans we don't have to think of such things (barring Munich, of course) but perhaps a story like that can bring a sense of perspective. I still vividly recall the fans rattling the buckets in the town centre to try and get Aldershot Town off the ground in 1991.  I even put my pocket money in (I was 11)

I find it a little strange to be honest, because I supported United first - and then discovered my local club afterwards. I do envy those who can claim United as "their home club" because as much as I do love Aldershot (It is a part of me, really) I know that my love for United surpasses it.

To tell a little anecdote, when United got Aldershot in the Carling Cup, my mum rang me to tell me and asked if I wanted to go. My reply? "Oh yes, but I'll be standing in the away end!!".

Would be interested in seeing that. Losing a club and seeing it rebuilt is such a journey of emotions. As United fans we don't have to think of such things (barring Munich, of course) but perhaps a story like that can bring a sense of perspective. I still vividly recall the fans rattling the buckets in the town centre to try and get Aldershot Town off the ground in 1991.  I even put my pocket money in (I was 11)

I'm hoping to release the doc come the new season if not sooner, i've already held meetings with the club about filming and they're bang up for it so now i've just gotta get the crew together and write the bloody thing. Then film and edit of course. As a whole it's part of a whole YouTube channel i'm creating focused solely on a more 'Thinking Football' avoiding things like transfer gossip, banter, tactics etc and more on fans and their stories and just stories from the world of football that perhaps not everyone has heard before. No doubt i'll push it a lot on this forum so keep your eye holes peeled. 

But yeah from what i've learnt so far the idea of the club was basically written up while a few fans had a chat in a pub, non had experience running a football club but they found help from the supporters association and basically went from there, they have a very good structor 1 fan, 1 vote, regardless of how much you pay for your membership and then they basically hope for volunteers for the other various positions within the club. They're a nice bunch of people who are doing a lot for Football in the town, theres some very funny stories too which deserve some attention. 

Maidstone United won 2-1, thank christ. Not only did we win, we went top of the table on goal difference. Margate's game was called off. 2 games in hand, we could go 6 points clear of them if we win them down in the line.

Edited by RedDevilDazzy

Maidstone United won 2-0 yesterday against AFC Hornchurch. The result puts us 3 points clear at the top with 2 games in hand. Margate who are in 2nd, lost at home, get in there If we win those 2 games in hand, we have the chance to go 9 points clear.Hopefully we can go on a run now, and get promotion. Long way to go but promotion is the goal if we take it with both hands.

Forgot to update Maidstone's progress, they got spanked 3-0 at home Enfield Town. Tonight they played Bury Town, who are bottom of the table. Twitter updates showed Bury take the lead, Maidstone down to 10 men, we score 2 quick goals, and win 2-1. Thank christ for that, fucking hell. Top of the table, 5 points clear.

Boston have scored 5 goals in each of their last 3 home games...pity they're hopeless away!
Anyway, having missed the last 7 games with arthritis and heart problems (always suffer through the winter) I made an executive decision...I finally caved in and got SKY, with skysports included...I feel sort of dirty but if i'm not getting to games anyway, i'm not guilty of abandoning 'real' football for 'telly-clapping'...Imight get to a couple of games toward the end of the season, then again with the sky costs probably won't be able to afford it now..i've become what I despise.. :(

Last Saturday we drew 1-1, can't remember the team we faced, but we took the lead right on half time, then we let in a goal in 88th minute. They did this 4 times last month, losing a lead!!! 4 points clear at the top, but we can't afford to slip up anymore, automatic promotion, only 1 slot there, must stay there in order to avoid the play offs.

Here's how Maidstone United got on today.....

1-0 up

2-0 up

Player sent off

2-1

2-2 90th minute, FT.

We did this shit last weekend, only we went 1-0 up, and then conceded at the end. It's like I know they're gonna do this crap again before it happens. Crappy days.

Here's how Maidstone United got on today.....

1-0 up

2-0 up

Player sent off

2-1

2-2 90th minute, FT.

We did this shit last weekend, only we went 1-0 up, and then conceded at the end. It's like I know they're gonna do this crap again before it happens. Crappy days.

Feel for you,thats a double whammy,

Only temporary remedy, 500 ml of your best scotch.