khoazany

[U18s] The Demetri Mitchell Thread

From ManUtd.com:

Described as a potential game-changer, he has explosive pace and is at his best in one-on-one situations with defenders when he can accelerate away from his marker. Performs on the wing but can also play up front if required because he is such a fine finisher.

A stunning volley to win the game at Leicester City illustrated his technique and his livewire performances bode well for the 2013/2014 season.

U17 international Demetri Mitchell would hope to claim his place on the left wing of the U18s for the rest of this campaign. His first season for the U18s has been a bit hot and cold, with him finding it hard to adjust his style to a more robust, aggressive league compared to the U16s. Next season will be big for him with much greater responsibility.

His goal for England U16s:

ib1JnvN78zpdB4.gif

His goal against Bayern U17s:

His performance again Middlesbrough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVYeJp4fKQc&list=UUJRB_jLtQ5vfc2KCcKLG_iA&feature=c4-overview

Demetri+Mitchell+England+U17+v+Turkey+U1

179195063-demetri-mitchell-of-england-ru

_69012940_manuantrim.jpg

u18s-3280-1054780.jpg

Edited by khoazany

Mitchell's England glory

United youngster Demetri Mitchell was part of history on Wednesday as his England team-mates clinched the UEFA Under-17 Championship via a dramatic penalty shoot-out triumph over Holland. 

The Reds winger was an unused substitute as the young Lions were held to a 1-1 draw in a match that was later won from the spot, with goalkeeper Freddie Woodman helping England earn a 4-1 victory at the Ta’Qali National Stadium. 

Mitchell's influence was certainly felt in the group stage during three second-half appearances against hosts Malta, Turkey and the Netherlands. Speaking after the final, manager John Peacock heaped praise on his entire squad. 

“In my opinion, we were worthy winners,†explained Peacock, who led England to the same honour in 2010 and will now bid an emotional farewell to his current crop of players. 

“I’ve just told them all 'well done' and they deserved it. They have bought into the whole season and we have had a few knock-backs, but we’ve come back from them. 

“Overall, I'm delighted for all the players and, I have to say, all the staff as well. They have been absolutely fantastic and I can’t thank them enough.â€

source: http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2014/May/Demetri-Mitchell-and-England-win-Euro-U17-Championship.aspx

So what do you reckon Khoazany?

I've only seen bits and pieces of Demetri play, I've not managed to catch a full match of the academy as I don't have MUTV anymore but from what I am hearing this kid is something special.

But I thought Jack Barmby was fantastic too, and he obviously didn't quite make the grade.  Think Mitchell has what it takes?

So what do you reckon Khoazany?

I've only seen bits and pieces of Demetri play, I've not managed to catch a full match of the academy as I don't have MUTV anymore but from what I am hearing this kid is something special.

But I thought Jack Barmby was fantastic too, and he obviously didn't quite make the grade.  Think Mitchell has what it takes?

He has been the spearhead of our attack this season with the lack of strikers which can only benefit his development.I only have watched 2 U18s match this season due to the river for U18s not available recently but from that and the highlights it looks like he has up his game to the next level.Certainly improved his finishing and consistency.He's not a typical winger though this season he's roaming everywhere around the pitch but preferred to cut inside from the right to take his shot.

Too soon to say anything about him making the grade though.I need to see him playing in the U21s first as it's a different environment there and he seems to be the kind of player that need time to adapt his game to the higher level.

Would be interesting to follow his development in the next few years along with Borthwick-Jackson,Henderson,Thompson and Riley from the same age group.Redmond as well if he can learn to be consistent and more impactful on the pitch.We certainly haven't had a wide forward like him coming through the rank for a while (there's Barmby but he couldn't even step up properly to the U21s) so it would be interesting to see how it goes for Mitchell.

He has been the spearhead of our attack this season with the lack of strikers which can only benefit his development.I only have watched 2 U18s match this season due to the river for U18s not available recently but from that and the highlights it looks like he has up his game to the next level.Certainly improved his finishing and consistency.He's not a typical winger though this season he's roaming everywhere around the pitch but preferred to cut inside from the right to take his shot.

Too soon to say anything about him making the grade though.I need to see him playing in the U21s first as it's a different environment there and he seems to be the kind of player that need time to adapt his game to the higher level.

Would be interesting to follow his development in the next few years along with Borthwick-Jackson,Henderson,Thompson and Riley from the same age group.Redmond as well if he can learn to be consistent and more impactful on the pitch.We certainly haven't had a wide forward like him coming through the rank for a while (there's Barmby but he couldn't even step up properly to the U21s) so it would be interesting to see how it goes for Mitchell.

Is watching United youngsters part of your day job...? Always have been curious how you are more informed about the youngsters than anybody else here?

Appreciate your quiet contributions in this forum in any case.

Is watching United youngsters part of your day job...? Always have been curious how you are more informed about the youngsters than anybody else here?

Appreciate your quiet contributions in this forum in any case.

I wish I could...

There are people here who watch the lads more than me.I just post more.

Do you think he could follow a long term route to the first team like Jesse?

He has more natural abilities than Jesse but I'm worried that he'll follow the Rothwell/Petrucci/W.Keane route with his injuries.If he can stay fit I'd say he's the type of player that Van Gaal will like.He's definitely one of the best "flair" players that we've produced recently.

His short-term goal must be to impress Warren Joyce as he didn't play well in the U21s match before his latest injury.

Edited by khoazany

Done very well today, didn't look out of place at all and considering this was the first season he's played left back it shows how well he actually played. Injuries have halted his progress the past couple of years but if he can stay fit and devolp his defensive game further he could be an interesting option next season at left back and on in to the future.

1 minute ago, Canto said:

Done very well today, didn't look out of place at all and considering this was the first season he's played left back it shows how well he actually played. Injuries have halted his progress the past couple of years but if he can stay fit and devolp his defensive game further he could be an interesting option next season at left back and on in to the future.

A lot more composed than Young in general play. He could follow in the same footsteps as Young and Valencia, in being converted full-time. Moses at Chelsea too.

yet considering we have young Shaw/CBJ and even young Joe Riley (though I cant really see his future here in United) Mitchell has got himself some real competitors for the position. 

Like Shaw, Mitchell likes bombing forward and create space for the left winger to cut in and make plays (fits perfectly for our current right-footed left wingers) CBJ is a more composed and all rounded left back but he lacks that bit of aggression in the final third, especially when he plays for the first team he often looks to find the safest option to secure a pass, rather than taking on a defender or putting crosses in. That annoys me a bit given he has one hell of a left foot that can put in nice crosses. would be interesting to see who gets a nod in the future (dont forget Blind/Darmian/Rojo/Young can still play their part in the position too) 

18 hours ago, mattc said:

yet considering we have young Shaw/CBJ and even young Joe Riley (though I cant really see his future here in United) Mitchell has got himself some real competitors for the position. 

Like Shaw, Mitchell likes bombing forward and create space for the left winger to cut in and make plays (fits perfectly for our current right-footed left wingers) CBJ is a more composed and all rounded left back but he lacks that bit of aggression in the final third, especially when he plays for the first team he often looks to find the safest option to secure a pass, rather than taking on a defender or putting crosses in. That annoys me a bit given he has one hell of a left foot that can put in nice crosses. would be interesting to see who gets a nod in the future (dont forget Blind/Darmian/Rojo/Young can still play their part in the position too) 

last year CBJ was the best crosser we had and you should remember he was playing for LVG which meant philosophy came first. i think after Rashford, CBJ was the best of the rest of academy/reserve who played for first team. better than all of those 4 you mentioned. i would like Jose to give both CBJ and Mitchell chances for next season. Shaw is good but he is rivaling Jones in getting injured. Mitchell can play as winger and striker too. i would like to see CBJ as LB and Mitchell as LW. they can complete each other in defense and offense.

I don't think we can afford having both CBJ and Mitchell in the first team and giving enough game times for both. My guess is CBJ going on loan again (need to be more aggressive on the pitch when he does) and Mitchell staying. Riley on loan, too.

For my personal rating, Mitchell > Riley > CBJ.