• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah it's not like it just happend this summer or anything 

oops logged into my other account! 

Ban every single man, woman and child who suggests we sign him and burn their crops. 

They can have him. 

1. You could work him into a starting XI rotation up front, but he plays primarily left-sided (same as Marcus Rashford), or as a striker, while the primary immediate need is on the right. To make that work, you'd have to play Rashford at least occasionally on the right, whenever Greenwood is not being used. 

2. "Wales. Golf. Madrid. In that order". How would we feel about a player who posed laughingly behind that banner,  with the word "Madrid" replaced by the word "Manchester"? 

3. 600 K a week.

4. Huge desire to get out of Madrid (though not, one notes, to the extent of accepting a pay cut, reportedly). Probably no particularly huge desire to play for Man Utd specifically.

5. Can't wait to see how he affects Tottenham's already fragile dressing room spirit, as Mourinho has to disrupt Son by benching him or playing him out of position. 

On the flip side - great player. But to me, it's hard to think he's the best option available. And I am not opposed as such to a single-season loan player, though obviously a permanent solution would be preferable. I think Corona is likely to have even worse effects financially on this season than it had on the previous one, and being in a position to pounce next summer, when many clubs who are typically sellers will be more hard-hit than they are now, may not be a bad idea.  

19 hours ago, John Locke said:

Blanc, schweinsteiger and sanchez were well past their best. Barthez was always a flamboyant keeper rather than a reliable pair of hands.

Di maria clearly didnt want to play here. Veron didnt fit our style of play.

Right now i wonder if he could take a hit on wages bale would be worth a punt. I'd rather have him than a player like pogba right now who is suffocating under Ole or just plain shit.

Have you seen Bale over the past 2 years?

Because boy, are you in for a shock.

19 hours ago, CB78 said:

See what your saying but if you looked at all of UTD signings In the last 10 yr’s (big name/established or not) you could prob make a similar argument As to what proportion have flopped or not

More recently out of Ole’s 6 signings I’m only looking at 2 (hopefully Van de Beek makes it 3) that would qualify as a success. (So far)

past doesn’t always equal the future- You could look at Larsen / Ibrahimovic of older established players who have worked. Right player for the right price is always worth a look.  

Depending on who else we’re able to get - Would Bale offer more than James/Mata/Lingard/Igualho?  I’d be very very surprised if not

available on the right deal get him in 

Bale assisted 2 goals last season compared to James' 7 assists.

James scored 4 goals compared to Bale's 3 goals.

Mata assisted 7 goals and scored 3 goals.

Ighalo scored 5 goals from 7 games worth of minutes.

So yeah, I would take all three over Bale who is unprofessional and injury prone.

1 minute ago, O said:

More recently out of Ole’s 6 signings I’m only looking at 2 (hopefully Van de Beek makes it 3) that would qualify as a success. (So far)

I would disagree completely with that. Maguire played every game, established himself as captain and has clearly stabilised United's defense. He doesn't do everything well, but that's where the need to complement him with someone of better and other qualities than Lindelof comes in. Wan-Bissaka is in my opinion the best right back United has had since Gary Neville. Bruno must be one of the most impactful signings the club has made in the PL era. And Daniel James, even with his late-season misery taken into account, I think contributed more as a squad player in his first season than could be expected. He was a good signing, and there's no reason why he can't continue to develop. Ighalo was brought in to be a depth player, and has delivered the goods in that role. I would rate them all as successful signings.  

9 minutes ago, O said:

So yeah, I would take all three over Bale who is unprofessional and injury prone.

Well, honestly I think Bale is so hugely better than any of these players that there is really no comparison, injury prone or not, and stats included. But I'd still not bring him in. 🙂 

21 minutes ago, O said:

😂 few factors in Bale's recent lack of output @ Madrid  I think-  not just unprofessional-ism & injuries.  Personally I'd take him all day long over the above mentioned superstars 

If we get someone else suitable I'm not too fussed- 

If we don't & UTD are scrambling for top 4

Pending what sort of job Bale does somewhere else one of us ends up with egg on our face 

3 minutes ago, CB78 said:

😂 few factors in Bale's recent lack of output @ Madrid  I think-  not just unprofessional-ism & injuries.  Personally I'd take him all day long over the above mentioned superstars 

If we get someone else suitable I'm not too fussed- 

If we don't & UTD are scrambling for top 4

Pending what sort of job Bale does somewhere else one of us ends up with egg on our face 

You think Zidane refuses to use a player who won him a CL final just for fun?

I think Bale going to Spurs will be good for United. He could upset their squad dynamics and cause someone like Bergwijn or Lucas to kick up a fuss. 

Bale isn't even that good for Wales anymore. He doesn't carry them like he used to. He's a player in decline.

It makes zero sense to sign him when there are dozens of alternatives out there.

Ole's ideal player profile is either British, or young & ambitious with their best years ahead of them. Ighalo is the only exception, as that was an emergency loan during an injury crisis before lockdown. We didn't even need him in the end, as the lockdown allowed Pogba, Rashford and co to return from injury to finish the remaining fixtures.

I would take Perišić on loan ahead of Bale. He proved he can be useful at Bayern.

4 minutes ago, O said:

You think Zidane refuses to use a player who won him a CL final just for fun?

I think Bale going to Spurs will be good for United. He could upset their squad dynamics and cause someone like Bergwijn or Lucas to kick up a fuss. 

Bale isn't even that good for Wales anymore. He doesn't carry them like he used to. He's a player in decline.

It makes zero sense to sign him when there are dozens of alternatives out there.

Ole's ideal player profile is either British, or young & ambitious with their best years ahead of them. Ighalo is the only exception, as that was an emergency loan during an injury crisis before lockdown. We didn't even need him in the end, as the lockdown allowed Pogba, Rashford and co to return from injury to finish the remaining fixtures.

I would take Perišić on loan ahead of Bale. He proved he can be useful at Bayern.

Lets see-  like I say we get other suitable players I'm not so fussed.  We don't I think we could live to regret.    

There's "a few" alternatives-  hardly dozens.     I'm a long way to being convinced on Ole's/UTD transfer activity to date, as much if not more misses as hits so far.  Strong window could change that. 

Positive signs towards end of last season but we scraped into the top 4 in the end.    Don't follow up with a strong transfer window when other teams strengthening all around us we'll be short again. 

Just now, CB78 said:

Lets see-  like I say we get other suitable players I'm not so fussed.  We don't I think we could live to regret.    

There's "a few" alternatives-  hardly dozens.     I'm a long way to being convinced on Ole's/UTD transfer activity to date, as much if not more misses as hits so far.  Strong window could change that. 

Positive signs towards end of last season but we scraped into the top 4 in the end.    Don't follow up with a strong transfer window when other teams strengthening all around us we'll be short again. 

There are literally dozens of right wingers out there to sign. Some more high profile than others.

None of our rivals have made significant signings bar Chelsea tbf.

United won't have a strong window unless there is progress on the Sancho front. The entire window depends on it.

1 minute ago, O said:

There are literally dozens of right wingers out there to sign. Some more high profile than others.

None of our rivals have made significant signings bar Chelsea tbf.

United won't have a strong window unless there is progress on the Sancho front. The entire window depends on it.

Don't agree there's dozens,

No signing is guaranteed going to be a success (regardless who it is) but there's a "few" that are get-table and I'd be confident good chance could come in, improve on what we've got & add value.  Right price/deal I'd put Bale among them

Window's not over yet- for our rivals (whom I fully expect to strengthen further) or us. 

Let's see where we end up then judge-  my feeling is we don't get our finger out soon, they'll be regrets & we'll be heading into season short again  

5 hours ago, Kjetil said:

They can have him. 

1. You could work him into a starting XI rotation up front, but he plays primarily left-sided (same as Marcus Rashford), or as a striker, while the primary immediate need is on the right. To make that work, you'd have to play Rashford at least occasionally on the right, whenever Greenwood is not being used. 

2. "Wales. Golf. Madrid. In that order". How would we feel about a player who posed laughingly behind that banner,  with the word "Madrid" replaced by the word "Manchester"? 

3. 600 K a week.

4. Huge desire to get out of Madrid (though not, one notes, to the extent of accepting a pay cut, reportedly). Probably no particularly huge desire to play for Man Utd specifically.

5. Can't wait to see how he affects Tottenham's already fragile dressing room spirit, as Mourinho has to disrupt Son by benching him or playing him out of position. 

On the flip side - great player. But to me, it's hard to think he's the best option available. And I am not opposed as such to a single-season loan player, though obviously a permanent solution would be preferable. I think Corona is likely to have even worse effects financially on this season than it had on the previous one, and being in a position to pounce next summer, when many clubs who are typically sellers will be more hard-hit than they are now, may not be a bad idea.  

1 Bale has not played on the left in years, he has been meh up front and great on the right for Wales, for number 1, can't say he didn't ever play there for Madrid but that relationship had clearly gone sour anyway 

2 I'm biased with 2 as I'm Welsh so I loved it - meant a lot to the squad, probably got carried away in the joy of the occasion 

3 wouldn't even be paying half of that.... 

4) speculation, who knows how much if anything of a cut he'll take or not take but probably the biggest concern with him would be the impact of this on our wage structure which we're still not totally in control of

5) again - Son has played on the left for Spurs and will continue there, Bale's a right winger for years

The big problems are 1) can he stay fit  and 2) even with the cuts/subsidies his wages will still be high for an ageing player, albeit as a short term loan it's probably not as much of a problem. 

It was well worth a punt basically since we look like we're not signing anyone to play on the right at this stage or *shudders* a loan for costa or persisic maybe? but oh well 

From a Welsh pov hope he stays healthy and gets time at Spurs

3 hours ago, hdcantona said:

1 Bale has not played on the left in years, he has been meh up front and great on the right for Wales, for number 1, can't say he didn't ever play there for Madrid but that relationship had clearly gone sour anyway 

Stand corrected! Had him mentally filed as left-sided, but that's that objection taken care of then. So positionally at least, that actually makes him a good fit.

2 I'm biased with 2 as I'm Welsh so I loved it - meant a lot to the squad, probably got carried away in the joy of the occasion 

Sure, I can understand that. But being neither Welsh nor from Madrid, that looks a bit to me like a player who doesn't treat his club with too much professionalism or respect - and it's not an entirely isolated incident, is it.

3 wouldn't even be paying half of that.... 

So I read. Obviously, it would sweeten the pill if Real picks up part of the tab. 

4) speculation, who knows how much if anything of a cut he'll take or not take but probably the biggest concern with him would be the impact of this on our wage structure which we're still not totally in control of

Agreed, but a megastar on the wane with no particular motivation to play for your particular club, there's a bit of risk there, one could argue. On the other hand, I suppose he'd might want to take the opportunity to get his career back on track by having a stellar PL season.

5) again - Son has played on the left for Spurs and will continue there, Bale's a right winger for years

As per point 1, yes. 

The big problems are 1) can he stay fit  and 2) even with the cuts/subsidies his wages will still be high for an ageing player, albeit as a short term loan it's probably not as much of a problem. 

It was well worth a punt basically since we look like we're not signing anyone to play on the right at this stage or *shudders* a loan for costa or persisic maybe? but oh well 

From a Welsh pov hope he stays healthy and gets time at Spurs

No disagreement there. 

Good points. Still not convinced though. 

Probably the best place for him to end up. Not really disrupting anything as Spurs look dead going forward and I can see him being somewhat invested in playing for a team where he has a reputation. Less likely to quit on them.

Doherty is going to get shredded with Bale ahead of him though, wonder if they may play Bale through the middle. Alli is done.

Edited by TFIA