johan

Upcoming Games

Recommended Posts

On 02/08/2019 at 23:52, Burns92 said:

JackFrags on YouTube (pretty good content creator) said that this was being made in a new engine, but it doesn't seem to be the case?

From what I've read it seems to mainly concern the audio, lighting etc. They have confirmed 20v20 and 32v32 modes meaning the maps should be larger at least, and they're currently testing 50v50 too so hopefully that goes well and makes it into the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Burns92 said:

His legacy ended with Guns of the Patriots.

Should've never made Phantom Pain.

I would agree, but there were massive studio politics at work on top of ego driven madness on his end.

For me, MGS1, Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater were masterpieces. 

I wasn’t as into the futuristic bullshit in the later games. Lost its essence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Burns92 said:

His legacy ended with Guns of the Patriots.

Should've never made Phantom Pain.

Konami definitely fucked him around on that. It was about 75% of a great game but clearly incomplete. Still very good and worth playing. Ground Zeroes was great and I think more what his vision of V was. 

He revolutionised gaming. The first three MGS titles were so far ahead of their time, Sons of Liberty especially. It's one thing to say he's washed but to say you don't get where the hype comes from when Metal Gear Solid exists is pretty ridiculous.

I actually think Death Stranding looks interesting. A bit slow paced seemingly but would be a nice change up from Borderlands and Spiderman. Will know this time next week.

Edited by TFIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, O said:

I would agree, but there were massive studio politics at work on top of ego driven madness on his end.

For me, MGS1, Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater were masterpieces. 

I wasn’t as into the futuristic bullshit in the later games. Lost its essence.

Same thing for me. Snake Eater was one of the best games I have ever played.

The futuristic stuff with half the world population being a snake clone is just Kojima OD'ing on shrooms, and it shows.

It is evident in Death Stranding as well; none of the trailers or gameplay reveals before launch made any sense and it's no surprise that most people are baffled by the end product.

8 hours ago, TFIA said:

Konami definitely fucked him around on that. It was about 75% of a great game but clearly incomplete. Still very good and worth playing. Ground Zeroes was great and I think more what his vision of V was. 

He revolutionised gaming. The first three MGS titles were so far ahead of their time, Sons of Liberty especially. It's one thing to say he's washed but to say you don't get where the hype comes from when Metal Gear Solid exists is pretty ridiculous.

I actually think Death Stranding looks interesting. A bit slow paced seemingly but would be a nice change up from Borderlands and Spiderman. Will know this time next week.

I thought Konami only meddled with the engine stuff and deadlines, but didn't interfere when it came to the story/plot of the game? I could be wrong but I remember reading about it back when the game launched.

The MP was a train wreck but I don't care about it, the biggest let down for me easily was the plot. The whole game was a drawn out fetch quest with a pointless open world. You just go around the world gathering intel and watching cutscenes that depict an incoherent story.

What annoyed me more was that every 5 minutes you'd get a cutscene which shows it was directed by Kojima. We get it, it's a Kojima game. Do we really need it thrown at our face every time there is a cutscene? Talk about a guy who bought into his own hype, that's a textbook narcissist in my eyes.

The thing about Death Stranding is that he overestimated the patience of the general audience who own a PlayStation. I hate his current fans more than I actually hate the game or the hype behind the guy. This isn't gate keeping but most people who go bonkers hearing the name Kojima in current gen are people who bought into the hype via the internet. Fair play to the older fans who have been around, but it's the rabid following that I'm against.

Look at the way the trailers and reveals were perceived. They wouldn't have a word heard against Kojima, which almost resembles a cult. Throughout the game, you just deliver stuff from point A to point B with a ridiculously low reward system. I mean the first 10 hours of the game, you don't get to drive a vehicle and are expected to just walk all the way across a massive map to achieve your target.

That reminds me of vanilla wow to me, where people at least liked the challenge and the experience. Here it seems to be pure torture with an added element of pointless inventory management.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So have played a fair bit of Death Stranding and it’s bizarre. The start of the game is just nonsensical bullshit with little to no explanation of what is happening or why. Very hard to feel any connection to the characters when they’re all fucking holograms and the initial gameplay gets tedious very quickly – With the same boring tasks being repeated over and over with little difference between missions. It’s improving now in Act 3 - some more characters have been introduced and there’s more variety to the game but I came very close to putting the game down for good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, TFIA said:

So have played a fair bit of Death Stranding and it’s bizarre. The start of the game is just nonsensical bullshit with little to no explanation of what is happening or why. Very hard to feel any connection to the characters when they’re all fucking holograms and the initial gameplay gets tedious very quickly – With the same boring tasks being repeated over and over with little difference between missions. It’s improving now in Act 3 - some more characters have been introduced and there’s more variety to the game but I came very close to putting the game down for good. 

Pretty sure Kojima could make a game about taking a shit and people would be talking about how brilliant and subversive it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TFIA said:

So have played a fair bit of Death Stranding and it’s bizarre. The start of the game is just nonsensical bullshit with little to no explanation of what is happening or why. Very hard to feel any connection to the characters when they’re all fucking holograms and the initial gameplay gets tedious very quickly – With the same boring tasks being repeated over and over with little difference between missions. It’s improving now in Act 3 - some more characters have been introduced and there’s more variety to the game but I came very close to putting the game down for good. 

I heard it gets really good after the 10 hour mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/11/2019 at 04:59, Burns92 said:

I thought Konami only meddled with the engine stuff and deadlines, but didn't interfere when it came to the story/plot of the game? I could be wrong but I remember reading about it back when the game launched.

The MP was a train wreck but I don't care about it, the biggest let down for me easily was the plot. The whole game was a drawn out fetch quest with a pointless open world. You just go around the world gathering intel and watching cutscenes that depict an incoherent story.

What annoyed me more was that every 5 minutes you'd get a cutscene which shows it was directed by Kojima. We get it, it's a Kojima game. Do we really need it thrown at our face every time there is a cutscene? Talk about a guy who bought into his own hype, that's a textbook narcissist in my eyes.

The thing about Death Stranding is that he overestimated the patience of the general audience who own a PlayStation. I hate his current fans more than I actually hate the game or the hype behind the guy. This isn't gate keeping but most people who go bonkers hearing the name Kojima in current gen are people who bought into the hype via the internet. Fair play to the older fans who have been around, but it's the rabid following that I'm against.

Look at the way the trailers and reveals were perceived. They wouldn't have a word heard against Kojima, which almost resembles a cult. Throughout the game, you just deliver stuff from point A to point B with a ridiculously low reward system. I mean the first 10 hours of the game, you don't get to drive a vehicle and are expected to just walk all the way across a massive map to achieve your target.

That reminds me of vanilla wow to me, where people at least liked the challenge and the experience. Here it seems to be pure torture with an added element of pointless inventory management.

I think this is a pretty harsh review of TPP. I think it was disappointing in the end rather than bad – Up to a point I absolutely loved it but it fizzles out badly and the finish is very anti-climactic. They had introduced some intriguing villains but you don’t really even get to face them – Should have been more of XOF vs Diamond Dogs, should have got to face Skull Face and Volgin II. Instead they just get written out of the game. As for Konami’s interference it’s pretty speculative but I can’t imagine there wasn’t supposed to be some conclusion to the Eli arc, especially given we had seen the plans for a 51st mission, not that it would have salvaged the game, but it would have tied things up.

It still had some incredible features – The gameplay was probably the best I’ve seen for a game of that type and it was relatively simple to control unlike the mess that was Red Dead Redemption 2’s control scheme. It has great re-playability too given the variety of ways you could approach misisons.

It had the opposite issue of Guns of The Patriots, which I hated by the way. That was a mess of cutscenes, every type of boss battle and all the wrong types of fan service whereas TPP could have done with more of that – Both got the balance wrong. 

I have no idea what he was going for with Death Stranding. He's gotten away from what made his games great to begin with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/11/2019 at 15:55, aardvarked said:

Pretty sure Kojima could make a game about taking a shit and people would be talking about how brilliant and subversive it is. 

Having played more of it actually is pretty brilliant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hdcantona said:

But excellent. I've gone back and replayed a few bits too - very good game

I understand that the budget was quite small, so it's very good for what it is.

Some bad things:

  • The lack of silencers for stealth kills. The AI enemy always searches for you if you take out one of them.
  • The special weapons not really being any better than the standard weapons
  • Tinker is overpowered
  • They con you into thinking you'll be visiting all of the planets on show (maybe some DLC soon?)
  • Still too many closed off buildings and rooms (it's almost 2020!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, O said:

I understand that the budget was quite small, so it's very good for what it is.

Some bad things:

  • The lack of silencers for stealth kills. The AI enemy always searches for you if you take out one of them.
  • The special weapons not really being any better than the standard weapons
  • Tinker is overpowered
  • They con you into thinking you'll be visiting all of the planets on show (maybe some DLC soon?)
  • Still too many closed off buildings and rooms (it's almost 2020!).

There is a muzzler thing? I had one on a pistol which cuts the range they hear you from

Agreed on the rest, I didn't bother with special weapons though apparently the hammer can be immense if you are a melee player with high science, I liked that tinker could be exploited to some extent

I don't mind it being lots of planets etc rather than one big open world it made it way less buggy than most bethesda games usually are - I reckon fwiw there will be DLC probably something to do with Earth or the people involved with Earth, or failing that a new planet or two maybe

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hdcantona said:

There is a muzzler thing? I had one on a pistol which cuts the range they hear you from

Agreed on the rest, I didn't bother with special weapons though apparently the hammer can be immense if you are a melee player with high science, I liked that tinker could be exploited to some extent

I don't mind it being lots of planets etc rather than one big open world it made it way less buggy than most bethesda games usually are - I reckon fwiw there will be DLC probably something to do with Earth or the people involved with Earth, or failing that a new planet or two maybe

 

It's a mod to make your shots quieter. But it's hit and miss. All they needed was a silencer for stealth players. I always play as a stealth character who shoots from range. Sniper.

I don't mind the planets. I mind that there were planets that remained locked. You can't visit them. I didn't even know the game was ending until it was over. You head to the jail and then boom, it's over. 

So I assume the other planets will have DLC content like Fallout. Extensions of the map i.e. Halycon system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now