hdcantona

Has Fellaini turned the corner?

In what was ultimately an encouraging display, albeit not a successful one, one of the reasons to be optimistic about the loss to the noisy neighbours recently was Marouane Fellaini. While it's true the Belgian should almost certainly have clumsily conceded a penalty, he was in fact covering for Chris Smalling. This does not excuse the awkward nature of the challenge entirely, however one can appreciate that he was hurriedly covering for another, in a position deeper than usual.In the same fixture last year Fellaini was anonymous. Criticised by many for being too cautious despite his size, he was totally ineffectual, although singling him out would perhaps be a little harsh.

The criticism of Fellaini last year was far from baseless, but it was arguably excessive and certainly exacerbated by the overall picture of the season. It can also be argued that the struggles under Moyes did him no favours when compared to the preceding (and final) year under Sir Alex. Combine these with the the naïve manner in which the club operated during the first window without David Gill, and there's no wonder he was a focal point for abuse.

While the Belgian was left as the only new signing - and at a price several million higher than necessary at that - he did little to improve the side outside of a few games. The games where he did show glimpses of his old self tended to be against less than stellar opposition as well, earning him little credit amongst the supporters. It seems that he's had a greater impact recently than in all of last year, given the injury problems he suffered and the ultimately depressing nature of the season.

In the games since his return Fellaini has been an assured presence in the heart of midfield; using the ball well, working tirelessly and disrupting the opposition, thanks to his unique combination of impressive technique and dominant physique. His marvelous goal against West Brom being a moment of sheer delight, and the icing on a long overdue cake.

Going forward, it's tough to analyse whether or not he has truly turned the corner. There can be no doubt about the fact he has drastically improved upon his performances from last season. It's in the reactions of fans to his name on the teamsheet, or occasions where he gives the ball away where this is most clear.

Where previously an error would lead to the Old Trafford crowd generating a cacophony of groans and sighs, he is now cheered for his industrious runs, won headers and tricks. For a player who was sarcastically cheered in the last pre-season friendly, that's some achievement.

He is now performing at a level worthy of a place in the squad ability wise, but there remain some nagging doubts - with the clumsy attempt at a challenge on Aguero exemplifying concerns about his playing style and nature.

His critics will maintain that a player so ungainly by nature - despite his technical talent - should not be considered a regular at a club like Manchester United, but in the space of a few months, he has already come a long way, and there's room for further improvement still. There's no doubt that a fit and firing Fellaini is at worst a handful for any opposing side to deal with, and at best, a technically gifted battering ram in the middle of the park, but whether or not he can settle down as a starter in the long run, remains to be seen.

Click here to view the article

I think he has turned a corner. I don't think there's any doubt that he is playing much better than he did last season, and he looks much more comfortable in a United shirt.

He'll obviously never be a World Class player or a regular starter for us, but I've got no doubt that he can be a great squad player. In games like Crystal Palace at home, for instance, he shouldn't be starting. In those types of games, we really need more classy players, who are quicker, can pass the ball better and faster, who can create more chances etc. Fellaini isn't that type of player.

However, he is a great option for the bigger or more difficult games. In games against the likes Chelsea, City, Arsenal etc, or more difficult away games, where we need more of a physical presence, someone who can get in people's way, be a nuisance to opponents in possession, help snuff out any danger, he can be a real asset. I don't think it's a coincidence that these have been his better performances this season.

Van Gaal has found a role for him in the team, a team which is playing better and with more confidence and purpose than a year ago. In addition he appears to have refound his confidence and looks more like the player who was a handful for opponents while in an everton shirt. He has been decent from what i've seen of him this season and if he keeps it up is worthy of a place in the squad at least. As a long term first team solution i'm not sure. I don't think he was ever destined to be that.

you and those who liked it (crazy for man utd-greece Loublaze Vanrooney

Still feel the same?

Still has a long way to go to turn the corner for me.

I am enjoying his good form with us but I still think that what we are seeing now is the best he can give us.

And in my opinion what he offers is nothing more than a decent option in midfield. He is a good squad player.

He's a fucking excellent player. He was generally awful last season and we all know that and his confidence was shot to bits. It got to the point where even I thought his time was up here even though I still rated him highly. He still had some very good performances - Namely at West Ham and West Brom. The stick he got was unbelievable although inevitable for a combination of reasons. Moyes/Woodward completely fucked him over. He needed the goal so badly, but beyond that he now has players who are moving around him, which he'll quite obviously need. Last year we were probably the most static team in the league, Fellaini was doomed in that setup.

He's showing his class as well as his obvious strengths. There's far more to his game than lumping it up to him. That header was unbelievable - He was about 20 yards out when the cross was put in. 

I was going to say "stupid articles deserve stupid replies", but maybe it is a little too harsh?

Well one things for sure, your replies are fucking stupid. Why not impress us all and do better? These are opinion pieces, give us a counter article. We dying to read your masterpieces. Simply dying.

Fuckers, less discussion and more articles! I enjoy reading opinion pieces like these ones that have been posted!

There's a thing that's pretty clear, he's a different player since he's been given confidence by the manager, and he fully believes in himself and tries to do whatever that needs to be done for the team. I'm very happy for him, and I hope he keeps playing at this level whenever the manager considers him worthy of a starting place or even an appearance like a sub!

Well one things for sure, your replies are fucking stupid. Why not impress us all and do better? These are opinion pieces, give us a counter article. We dying to read your masterpieces. Simply dying.

Just man the fuck up and ban that drooler already.

"Why isn't there an article saying "has Young turned the corner?" says everything about what is wrong with this article. Do you want me to write a children's book explaining why it is too early to have an article on Fellaini turning the corner given how abysmal his performance was last year and given he's been no more than decent in only a couple of games so far? I thought we had smart champs in this forum.

"Why isn't there an article saying "has Young turned the corner?" says everything about what is wrong with this article. Do you want me to write a children's book explaining why it is too early to have an article on Fellaini turning the corner given how abysmal his performance was last year and given he's been no more than decent in only a couple of games so far? I thought we had smart champs in this forum.

Did you not read the question mark in the title? Honestly, post worse. You're utterly shocking.

Smart champs? What does that even mean, this ain't USA mate.

Well first of all the title is a question mark...secondly, "turning the corner" does NOT mean "he's amazing now" or "undroppable" or even "guaranteed starter" - and although some would argue that he is one or more of those things now, each to their own, it's clear to me though that he has 'turned the corner' in going from almost certainly on the way out of the club, to someone who's featuring regularly and playing very well