MrSwellman

Jonny Evans- Our Underrated Superstar

Error prone, injury prone, inconsistent and simply not good enough. These are some of the remarks I I have read about Jonny Evans in the past year. To put in bluntly, I think they are inaccurate. In fact, I’ll go even further and say that they are downright wrong.The misconceptions regarding Evans baffle me. Sure in the last year, he has looked a little out of sorts and has struggled for form, but so have 95% of the squad. The team were performing atrociously and Evans was never busier in the heart of our defence. On top of the fact that he was now our most senior defender at the tender age of 25, he was under a lot of pressure. New manager, new role within the squad, team performing poorly and then he was injured for a vast majority of the season, it’s not hard to see why he struggled.

Jonny Evans is without a shadow of a doubt our best centre-half. Just because a player struggles for form over the space of a season, it doesn’t instantly mean he’s turned into a terrible player. Of our current central defenders, when he’s on form, he’s easily the best of the lot. He’s capable of organising and controlling the defensive unit, all the while putting in first class defensive performances. If given the choice, he would be my captain of the club. Roy Keane spoke recently in his book about Evans being an amazing talent and a natural leader, surely this type of praise stands for something from probably our greatest captain ever.

Many people forget that Jonny Evans was involved in our record breaking run of clean sheets. He played just as many games that season as the world-class pairing for Vidic and Ferdinand. This is a man who as little as two years ago was described by Sir Alex Ferguson as, “arguably the best defender in the country.”

Jonny Evans needs regular football to be at his very best. He is very much a confidence player. It’s no coincidence that he finds his best form when he has a consistent run in the first team. This campaign and last he has been desperately unlucky with injuries. I for one pray that after this recovery that we see the back of his injury woes. I want to see more of his man-of-the-match performances like the one against Drogba. I want to see him in defence organising the current shambles around him. I want to see him bellowing out tongue-lashings to the players ahead of him when they are underperforming. I have absolutely no doubt he is more than capable.

In the current footballing world, there are very few actual genuine world-class central defenders. Vincent Kompany probably being the only one in the league. Jonny Evans when on form is easily in the next tier. For me, it makes no sense to be casting a player of his quality aside. Why? Because he’s an excellent central defender worthy of his name being mentioned alongside any of his peers and it will be very hard to get any better. Especially ones who evidently enjoy playing for this club as much as Jonny. I ask our fans to not be so fickle, to give Jonny a chance to settle back into his stride because when he does you won’t be sorry

Click here to view the article

All excuses and no substance. Evans is drastically overrated and it takes a brave manager like LVG to take out the Fergie favorite academy product and put others in. You can't blame his individual errors on a teams performance, he is our most unreliable centre back (I include McNair and Balckett in that statement). MK Dons defenders showed him up big time.

He's skillful and that's it.

He was carried by Rio and Vidic., any of our current defenders would have at least matched his standards playing alongside Rio.

Edited by Prodigal7

All excuses and no substance. Evans is drastically overrated and it takes a brave manager like LVG to take out the Fergie favorite academy product and put others in. You can't blame his individual errors on a teams performance, he is our most unreliable centre back (I include McNair and Balckett in that statement). MK Dons defenders showed him up big time.

He was carried by Rio and Vidic., any of our current defenders would have at least matched his standards playing alongside Rio.

Ban worthy IMO.

He's a very good CB when fit and in form, but he hasn't been both at the same time for ages. I said before that at his best he's on the same level as Cahill, but right now i'd take Cahill over him without a second's hesitation. Our most injury and error prone defender. Shame really.

No one has taken Evans out, he was injured is the only reason he's not playing. He'll easily return to the line-up when fit and frankly I can't wait.

One poor performance against MK Dons and now he's finished? LOL. You guys.

"One bad game against MK Dons..."

What a horrible excuse for a post. He is consistently shit when not being carried by rio or vidic. Or maybe it's just a coincidence that he is shit without them? Yeah that must be it. Evans looks scared out of his mind whenever he plays

"One bad game against MK Dons..."

What a horrible excuse for a post. He is consistently shit when not being carried by rio or vidic. Or maybe it's just a coincidence that he is shit without them? Yeah that must be it. Evans looks scared out of his mind whenever he plays

I suggest you give up watching football.

He hasn't played well at all under LVG, it wasn't just the Dons game. We do have a lot of fickle fans but the Evans criticism is fair, considering this is the guy who should be stepping up to the role as leader at the back. I know he hasn't played many games this season but so far he's looked a nervous wreck, if weren't familiar with United you'd think he was the inexperienced youth player, not Blackett or McNair who have been composed as fuck. Smalling has been criticised too because he doesn't look like the solid defender we had last season, where's the article defending him?

He hasn't played well at all under LVG, it wasn't just the Dons game. We do have a lot of fickle fans but the Evans criticism is fair, considering this is the guy who should be stepping up to the role as leader at the back. I know he hasn't played many games this season but so far he's looked a nervous wreck, if weren't familiar with United you'd think he was the inexperienced youth player, not Blackett or McNair who have been composed as fuck. Smalling has been criticised too because he doesn't look like the solid defender we had last season, where's the article defending him?

Which game then? The two clean sheets or the one where he came off after 20 mins?

All his performances are riddled with individual mistakes. Positional play , decision making, awareness, speed of though, reading of the game are all poor. He's been a benny hill sketch since rio retired.

Edited by Prodigal7

Feel free to contribute a submission. 

He's our best CB when fit and on form. I can see him and Rojo forming a parntership when they're back to the first team as they are easily better than the rest.

He's our best CB when fit and on form. I can see him and Rojo forming a parntership when they're back to the first team as they are easily better than the rest.

Jones and Smalling have outperformed Evans recently, but I guess it doesn't count much because Evans hasn't been in form. Its premature to suggest that Rojo is 'easily' better than the rest when he's not even ten games into his United career. He's been solid if unspectacular, and it just takes one costly error before he's labelled a flop or the seed of satan, and that almost happened against Chelsea but who was there to save his ass? Smalling.