Carrick set for Under-21 outing
Manchester United have a first, and only, Barclays Under-21 Premier League assignment in October when travelling south to face West Ham United this evening (Friday).
The match, which is being shown live on MUTV, presents Warren Joyce's third-placed side with an opportunity to regain top spot in the table above neighbours Manchester City.
Louis van Gaal has stressed he will use the Under-21 games to increase the fitness of some of his senior stars and has confirmed Michael Carrick will feature after being an unused substitute at West Brom. The midfielder will step up his comeback from an ankle operation against his former clubâ€™s second string.
James Wilson could be an option to partner Will Keane in attack but United's Under-21 top scorer Adnan Januzaj had a full 90 minutes at The Hawthorns. Keane, of course, scored a hat-trick in the Lancashire Senior Cup win at Accrington Stanley recently and is looking to get off the mark in the division this term.
James Weir promoted his claims with a goal in the behind-closed-doors friendly with Burnley last week but defender Paddy McNair looks set to miss out with a minor hamstring injury.
The Hammers, who will host the match at their Rush Green training ground, are second from bottom in the table but defeated Sunderland 2-0 in their last outing.
Loughborough 0 United Youth XI 2
A Manchester United Youth XI defeated Loughborough Students 2-0 with goals by Sean Goss and Ashley Fletcher.
Paul McGuinness fielded an Under-19 line-up that included Goss, Fletcher and Matty Willock in addition to his Academy squad in a match played in memory of the home team's former coach Mike 'Doc' Holliday.
The game was only eight minutes old when the hosts lost possession deep inside their own half and Marcus Rashford's intelligent backheel allowed Goss to fire a superb shot past Jack Howard and in off the far post. Rashford and Fletcher were convinced a penalty should have been awarded when they tried to reach a cross by Tyler Reid but Loughborough hit back and Dean Henderson was close to being embarrassed when his clearance struck Alun Webb and trickled wide.
After Rashford almost danced through on his own, Devonte Redmond spurned a glorious chance when scooping over from close range. Joe Riley was also off target from a promising position while Rashford was unlucky with a diving header from a Riley centre that flashed wide.
Willock started the second half brightly as the game opened up and, after firing wide, he curled a shot past Howard only to see it bounce back off the bar. United turned up the heat on a blustery night and, after Rashford was unable to finish off a devastating run by Riley, the no.9 capitalised on a mistake by Josh Dickens to release Fletcher and the target man finished clinically past the advancing Howard.
The Students responded with an incisive move that should have led to a goal by the lively Webb, but he snatched at the opportunity, before Jack Poxton tested substitute goalkeeper George Dorrington. United assumed total control but could not add a third goal during a dominant spell that contained some attractive football.
Fletcher was unable to profit from a poor Howard clearance, the keeper atoning by holding the venomous shot, Redmond drilled wide after slicing through the home defence and Cameron Borthwick-Jackson's mishit cross dropped the wrong side of the far post.
At the other end, Poxon attempted a drive that deflected wide of a stranded Dorrington but came back off an upright while Fletcher was twice unable to convert decent openings as the chances continued to come thick and fast. Rashford spun Luke Trotman to race clear but supplied a disappointing finish from an ever-decreasing angle.
Rashford latched onto a Riley through ball but was again unable to add a third goal as he fluffed his shot with the Reds unable to match the 6-2 goalfest of two years ago and yet were still good value for the victory, even allowing for the fact Ben Ward-Cochrane's last-minute effort was ruled out for offside.
United: Henderson (Dorrington 46); Reid, Tuanzebe, Williams, Borthwick-Jackson; Riley, Goss, Willock, Redmond; Rashford, Fletcher. Subs not used: Thompson, McTominay, Croskery.
Current Academy/U18s squad of season 2013-2014:
1. Ben Barber - CB - 3/9/1995 - uncapped
2. Sean Goss - CM - 1/10/1995 - uncapped
3. Ashley Fletcher - ST/SS - 2/10/1995 - uncapped
4. Ryan McConnell - CB - 3/10/1995 - Ireland U19s
5. Callum Evans - RB/LB/CB - 11/10/1995 - uncapped
6. Saidy Janko - 22/10/1995 - Switzerland U19s
7. Nick Ioannou - CB/LB - 10/11/1995 - Cyprus U19s
8. James Wilson - ST/LW - 1/12/1995 - England U19s
9. Josh Harrop - RW/LW/CM - 15/12/1995 - uncapped
10. Andreas Pereira - AM/CM - 1/1/1996 - Belgium U18s
11. Kieran O'Hara - GK - 22/4/1996 - uncapped (on loan at Trafford F.C)
12. Joel Castro Pereira - GK - 28/6/1996 - Portugal U19s
13. Matthew Willock - CM - 20/8/1996 - uncapped
14. Devonte Redmond - AM/Winger/ST - 19/9/1996 - England U16s
15. Oliver Rathbone - LW/AM - 10/10/1996 - uncapped
16. Joe Riley - RW/RB/CM - 6/12/1996 - England U16s
17. Scott McTominay - CM/AM - 8/12/1996 - Scotland U18s
18. Ruari Croskery - ST - 20/12/1996 - Northern Ireland U17s
19. Jordan Thompson - LB/CM/Winger - 3/1/1997 - Northern Ireland U17s
20. Demetri Mitchell - Winger/AM - 11/1/1997 - England U17s
21. Cameron Borthwick-Jackson - CB/LB - 2/2/1997 - England U17s
22. Dean Henderson - GK - 12/3/1997 - England U17s
23. Geogre Dorrington - GK - 17/6/1997
Schoolboys who appeared in U18s squad:
24.Marcus Rashford (LW/AM/ST) - 31/10/1997 - England U16s
25.Tosin Kehinde (CM) - 18/6/1998
26. Tyler Reid (RB/LB) - 2/9/1997
27. Axel Tuanzebe (CB/CM) - 14/11/1997
28. Charlie Scott (CB/FB/CM) - 2/9/1997
29. Oliver Byrne (GK) - 30/12/1997
30. Roshaun Williams (CB/RB) - 3/9/1998 - England U16s
31. Tyrell Warren (RB) - 1998
32. Zachary Dearnley (RW/ST) - 28/9/1998 - England U16s
Will do a few stats later when I have time :smile:
Next match: 8 March vs Liverpool (Home). Time TBC.
CURRENT U21S SQUAD: (exclude the loanees) GKs: Amos,Gollini,Sutherland,J.Pereira(U18s) Defenders: Varela,Love,Janko(U18s),M.Keane,Grimshaw,McNair,R.James,Rowley Midfielders: Petrucci,Pearson,Rothwell,Weir,A.Pereira(U18s),M.Willock(U18s) Forwards: Lingard,Wilson(U18s) Next match: Monday 24th February vs Sunderland (Home), 7pm BST.