khoazany

General Academy News/Discussion

An U17s United team won 4-1 against Dundee United in a friendly today.

Team: Dorrington, Riley, Borthwick-Jackson, Scott, Tuanzebe, Kehinde, Mitchell, Redmond, Croskery, Rashford, Thompson

Subs: 12. Rathbone for Croskery 13. Byrne for Dorrington 14. Johnson for Thompson 16. Reid for Redmond 15. Makela on for Rashford ?. Dean Henderson on for Demi Mitchell

http://mufclatest.com/nevilles-comments-offer-glimpse-into-the-future/

Neville went on to talk up Saidy Janko praising his mentality saying:

He later went on to compare Janko to his old Everton team mate Seamus Coleman saying:

“He just wants to go at people and he hasn’t been intimidated when he’s stepped up to train with the seniors he just wants to go out and play football he’s not intimidated by the badge on the shirt and playing for Manchester United.â€

“Like Séamus he hasn’t come all the way through an academy so in certain things he’s quite raw but he has something about him and Warren Joyce has been working with him on his first touch and techniqueâ€

Neville also spoke about Guillermo Varela who he said struggled when he first arrived as he spoke no English at all and everything was a bit of a culture shock but went on to praise his performances since he came back after Christmas and said they expect him to be challenging for first team appearances next season. While Varela still speaks very little English, Neville says:

“Warren Joyce has developed a really good rapport with him and has worked with him a lot on his one-on-one defending as he was used to a different style in Uruguayâ€

Speaking about James Wilson Neville said:

“He started the season in Paul McGuinness’ U18 side but has thrived with every step up we’ve given him up to the U21′s and training with the seniors and now its about managing those steps to make sure he keeps progressing, he deserved his chance with the seniors against Newcastle.

“We’ve been toughening him up by having him training against the likes of Vidic, Smalling, Jones and Evansâ€

The final player Neville highlighted as having trained with the first team is also the youngest and probably most surprising in 17-year-old goalkeeper Joel Castro Pereira, who Neville described and being “an excellent shot stopper with really good distributionâ€

Wow. This guy gonna be a player if he keeps growing.

Hopefully he can make up for the disappointment of Ravel.

I haven't seen much of him but he looks technically excellent from what I've seen.

Surprised re Barmby and Byrne a fair bit. Barmby particularly has done well on his loan and has potential to earn some money in the future for the club.

Guess with Ioaanau's and Barber's release recently too along with Sutherland, we are setting the bar higher now and releasing those that have little chance of making it at United early or those that have attitude issues etc..

Might mean more acquisitions.

Btw, remember the time  when Owenzy said Byrne was better than Wilson ? ;)

Edited by Cevno

Surprised re Barmby and Byrne a fair bit. Barmby particularly has done well on his loan and has potential to earn some money in the future for the club.

Guess with Ioaanau's and Barber's release recently too along with Henderson, we are setting the bar higher now and releasing those that have little chance of making it at United early or those that have attitude issues etc..

It's Sutherland.Don't curse my Henderson :facepalm:  Byrne doesn't have a good loan for a team that almost get into the relegation zone of League One.

Edited by khoazany

Bit surprised about Barmby and Byrne being let go. Not in the sense that i had any hopes of them making it but they're still young (Byrne especially) and have shown enough that I'd have expected them to stick around a while longer. Same as with Ioannou and Barber from the year below really - there have definitely been lesser players kept on than these guys in recent years.

Maybe a change in approach from United, although hopefully not a case of more acquisitions, as some have suggested. Streamlining the setup a bit and promoting younger players above their age group more is something I've wanted to see for a while. We've already seen more U16s than is typical at U18 level this season, plus there's been a trio of U18s practically ever-present at U21 level the second half of the season. It's something Chelsea in particular have done a lot lately and it's serving them pretty well (even if you suspect it will ultimately serve little purpose for them given the lack of opportunities offered).

Bit surprised about Barmby and Byrne being let go. Not in the sense that i had any hopes of them making it but they're still young (Byrne especially) and have shown enough that I'd have expected them to stick around a while longer. Same as with Ioannou and Barber from the year below really - there have definitely been lesser players kept on than these guys in recent years.

Maybe a change in approach from United, although hopefully not a case of more acquisitions, as some have suggested. Streamlining the setup a bit and promoting younger players above their age group more is something I've wanted to see for a while. We've already seen more U16s than is typical at U18 level this season, plus there's been a trio of U18s practically ever-present at U21 level the second half of the season. It's something Chelsea in particular have done a lot lately and it's serving them pretty well (even if you suspect it will ultimately serve little purpose for them given the lack of opportunities offered).

Definitely there's a change in approach.We had many debatable releases this season too much for it being just a coincidence.When you see many of our rejected like Barber,C.Nicholas in the U16s and few others in the lower age groups signed for other Cat 1 like Stoke or even Everton,Liverpool you know how harsh we're becoming in terms of filtering talents within the ranks (in the past years if you were released at United pre-U18s most likely the best you can make is Cat 2 Academy or small abroad ones).Combining with a few clever acquisitions like we did recently with Januzaj,Pogba,Pereira,... and smarter loan strategy we would be able to achieve both quality and streamlining the pathway for best talents.

It was furious last season to see the likes of Pearson,Daehli,... had to play most of the seasons with the U18s despite being clearly too good.Had we have a smaller squad last season Daehli would have had more chances and I don't think he'd go if he ended last season as U21s regular.Also talents like Harrop or Goss not playing regularly in their first U18s year doesn't bode well for their development.In many scenarios over recent years McGuinness had to play the younger ones in unfamiliar positions in order to afford them some game times.While it teach them versatility,positional discipline and stuffs we ended up wasting them in those positions.

Edited by khoazany

Guess with Ioaanau's and Barber's release recently too along with Sutherland, we are setting the bar higher now and releasing those that have little chance of making it at United early or those that have attitude issues etc..

I never said he was better than WIlson. I said he has more to his game overall, which he does.

Wilson is still a very one dimensional player when there is no space behind to run into. His finishing makes up for that.

Byrne will play Championship football at the very least. He isn't 19 until July. I'd expect him to be playing Premier League football at 21/22.

United must disagree to be releasing him already.

Not sure I can ever see him in the Prem. His game's pretty well-rounded but he doesn't really excel in any one area, other than perhaps work-rate which can only get you so far. Think Wilson's proved recently he's not all that one-dimensional either to be honest.

Definitely there's a change in approach.We had many debatable releases this season too much for it being just a coincidence.When you see many of our rejected like Barber,C.Nicholas in the U16s and few others in the lower age groups signed for other Cat 1 like Stoke or even Everton,Liverpool you know how harsh we're becoming in terms of filtering talents within the ranks (in the past years if you were released at United pre-U18s most likely the best you can make is Cat 2 Academy or small abroad ones).Combining with a few clever acquisitions like we did recently with Januzaj,Pogba,Pereira,... and smarter loan strategy we would be able to achieve both quality and streamlining the pathway for best talents.

It was furious last season to see the likes of Pearson,Daehli,... had to play most of the seasons with the U18s despite being clearly too good.Had we have a smaller squad last season Daehli would have had more chances and I don't think he'd go if he ended last season as U21s regular.Also talents like Harrop or Goss not playing regularly in their first U18s year doesn't bode well for their development.In many scenarios over recent years McGuinness had to play the younger ones in unfamiliar positions in order to afford them some game times.While it teach them versatility,positional discipline and stuffs we ended up wasting them in those positions.

I think sometimes it doesn't necessarily do someone like a Goss any harm to almost have a redshirt first year, but in general I agree. Dæhli should certainly have been pushed on last year, but even more criminal for me was how the likes of Pearson and Rothwell and the other promoted u18s were effectively in no-mans lad at the start of this season. I feel for the likes of Weir, Grimshaw etc who have been failed by both club and system for me this year. Rudge is another - he was a decent little player at u18 level, not a standout perhaps but for me he certainly deserved a lot better than to barely see the field all season and end up released without getting any real chance to push on. That can't be allowed to happen next year with the likes of Goss, Willock, McConnell and the other second years.

United must disagree to be releasing him already.

Not sure I can ever see him in the Prem. His game's pretty well-rounded but he doesn't really excel in any one area, other than perhaps work-rate which can only get you so far. Think Wilson's proved recently he's not all that one-dimensional either to be honest.

Wilson did nothing the other night. We didn't play any through balls for him, hence no involvement bar two good moments. He is like a technically gifted Chicharito at the moment. Not really going hurt anyone without service and isn't interested in build up play.

Byrne can easily have a similar career to Shane Long if he progresses.

I'd like to see how Wilson would have done out on loan. Byrne did only make something like 4/5 starts out of his 17 appearances. Of course he'd like to have bagged another 3/4 goals but it's not easy as an 18 year old impact sub coming into a struggling team.

The club has disagreed with me on lots of players. Rossi, Pogba, Morrison, Daehli, Eikrem, King, James and Dudgeon to name but a few. I'm sure he'll have a good career in the game somewhere.

None of those were released in the same fashion - not a one.

As for your Wilson point - don't be daft, everyone knows he's playing through injury at the moment and that was clear as day the other night. Countless other recent games to contradict your argument.