Txrt

Cycling Thread

Anyone going to follow it?

It starts today with a Team Time Trial in Belfast. 

There are two stages in Northern Ireland and the third one has it's finish line in Dublin.

They'll fly over to Italy after those first three stages, where the real party begins.

There's plenty of hills and summit finishes in this years edition, like almost always in the Giro.

Two clear favorites are Nairo Quintana and Joaquim Rodriguez. With a large group of possible winners behing, in which Irishmen Daniel Martin and Nicolas Roche are included, and also other names like Cadel Evans, ex winners Ryder Hesjedal and Ivan Basso, the veteran Michele Scarponi, the Polish Rafal Majka and Niemiec, etc etc.

I think it's going to be a great edition, and I hope it's open until the last week. Also, I wish not to have any of the important mountain stages cancelled due to weather conditions, like in previous years!

Who are your favorites to win Giro D'Italia 2014?

Who do you think will dominate the sprints?

And who do you think will be the positive/negative surprise of this edition?

I hope I'm not the only one watching it! ahahaha.

I love the S-Works bikes this year.

And btw, you have a great day over there! Much better than here today! 

I'm going to start to think that the rain thing is a myth... ahahahah.

I'll watch as much of it as I can but I'll follow all stage results.

Can't look past Quintana or Rodriguez but hope Dan Martin has a good showing.

Kittel should dominate the sprints.

Tour de France 2014

The route

Running from Saturday July 5th to Sunday July 27th 2014, the 101th Tour de France will be made up of 21 stages and will cover a total distance of 3,656 kilometres (before ratification).

9 flat stages

5 hill stages

6 mountain stages with 5 altitude finishes

1 individual time trial stage

2 rest days

Distinctive aspects of the race

Beyond the borders

After taking off from the United Kingdom for a 20th Grand Départ abroad, the Tour de France will also go through Belgium and Spain.

A taste of Paris-Roubaix

Before crossing the finishing line of the fifth stage in Arenberg Porte du Hainaut, the riders will have covered 15.4 kilometres of cobbled-stone sectors that are on the course of the Queen of Classics every spring.

9 new stage cities

Leeds (start of stage 1)

Harrogate (finish of stage 1)

York (start of stage 2)

Sheffield (finish of stage 2)

Cambridge (start of stage 3)

Ypres (finish of stage 5)

Oyonnax (finish of stage 11)

Risoul (finish of stage 14)

Maubourguet Pays du Val d’Adour (start of stage 19)

http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2014/us/overall-route.html

Purito crashed out of the Giro yesterday on a day littered with crashes. That's 2 of the GC contenders gone and the first week hasn't even finished yet.

He finished the stage with a broken finger and a couple ribs too. 

Really sad news for the fans.

Brajkovic also crashed, and so did Arredondo and Nicolas Roche, who lost each more than 17 minutes. Giampaolo Caruso took the worst part though, he couldn't move and was laying in the asphalt for quite some time, until they finally took him in an ambulance.

They say that the roads in the Southern part of Italy haven't seen rain in some time, and that added to the fact that the asphalt used in the South is not the best one for rain, made it almost impossible yesterday for the riders.

Same happens with the asphalt in the southern part of Spain when it rains...

The Criterium de Dauphiné has been great. Gonna come down to Contador vs Froome tomorrow with Contador 8 seconds up. 

Did you see todays stage? 

Really happy for Contador, but I think Froome has been affected by yesterdays crash... 

A stage to complete yet...

I think we're going to have the best/most exciting Tour of the last few years, at least on paper.. don't you think?

Did you see todays stage? 

Really happy for Contador, but I think Froome has been affected by yesterdays crash... 

A stage to complete yet...

I think we're going to have the best/most exciting Tour of the last few years, at least on paper.. don't you think?

This year's Tour De France is going to be great...well hopefully. As you said, on paper, it looks brilliant. Contador, Froome, Quintana (if he goes for it), Nibali, there will be someone like Rolland or another youngster as well this year......

Today's stage was fantastic. And great for Westra to win it as well. Contador's attack was timed perfectly.

Whoever's interested in a mini-league:

velogames.com

League Name: TMU League

League Code: 01200105

I can't remember what happened last year, as I have absolutely no idea about cycling, bar knowing a handful of names maybe, but I'm pretty sure I finished above last place, and that is my goal again this time...

I'm in

For all I know I've picked riders who are injured but oh well!

I can't remember what happened last year, as I have absolutely no idea about cycling, bar knowing a handful of names maybe, but I'm pretty sure I finished above last place, and that is my goal again this time...

I'm in

For all I know I've picked riders who are injured but oh well!

None of the riders available to choose from are injured and, fingers crossed, they won't get injured before Saturday.