O

Champions League: Game 1, Man Utd vs FC Basel

Gonna get seriously emotional when we're lining up for that anthem again - been far too long. I think we know on paper Jose's best XI, so I wouldn't expect too much of a departure from that. Hopefully with the home fans behind us, we can make a good start and get three points and hit the ground running. We don't want to be in the position of coming back up the table from behind - or God forbid, needing a win in Moscow.

3 minutes ago, MikeM said:

I don't see Jose starting Victor. I'm thinking it will be Smalling and Blind.

Jose already confirmed he's starting. I expect he'll go with Smalling too, but I think Blind deserves to start and I'd like Shaw back in the team.

3 hours ago, St!mpy said:

Pogba doesn't get dropped under Mou. Revert back to our previous lineup. 

Pogba and Valencia will both suffer from burnout if he keeps playing them every week. They barely rotated with others last season. Both played in two qualifiers for France and Ecuador before the Stoke game, and we now have this game between the Everton game on Sunday. It would be wise to rest them for this. Or at least take Pogba off after an hour or so.

Basel aren't the Basel of years ago, when they had Shaqiri, Xhaka, Frei, Streller, Elneny, Salah, etc. 

32 minutes ago, O said:

Pogba and Valencia will both suffer from burnout if he keeps playing them every week. They barely rotated with others last season. Both played in two qualifiers for France and Ecuador before the Stoke game, and we now have this game between the Everton game on Sunday. It would be wise to rest them for this. Or at least take Pogba off after an hour or so.

Basel aren't the Basel of years ago, when they had Shaqiri, Xhaka, Frei, Streller, Elneny, Salah, etc. 

Don't worry, I agree completely. I just saw the way Pogba played every game last season until his injury. I'd rest him too.

All things considered, I highly doubt Smalling would've been beaten in the air for the second goal as easily as Jones. 

Granted, there's a good 17% chance he'd have chokeslammed Chupo-Moting - but for all his faults, he's a beast in the air. 

32 minutes ago, JJtheRed said:

All things considered, I highly doubt Smalling would've been beaten in the air for the second goal as easily as Jones. 

Granted, there's a good 17% chance he'd have chokeslammed Chupo-Moting - but for all his faults, he's a beast in the air. 

wrong thread?

Important to get off to a good start so I don't expect wholesale changes. There should be no tiredness at this stage anyways and I think the plan will be to secure qualification so we can rest players down the line. We fucked that up in the Europa last season.

De Gea/Romero

Valencia Smalling Lindelof Blind

Fellaini Pogba

Mata Mkhitaryan Martial

Lukaku

Decent fixture to start with. No excuse for anything but a comfortable win. Dropped points would be a disaster.