47 minutes ago, hdcantona said:

He's even more impressive in person - absolute beast

He was still seemingly everywhere today - When he gets his statue just remember I was on board from the beginning too :p 

I swear to Christ people post anything in the internet. If you even know how many times I read "Chelsea fans don't rate him, they say he is on his last legs" during the window... 

I watched 30+ Chelsea matches last year, because I love Conte and because I had a bet on them winning the league, and I time and time again said I thought he still had great legs, and even if he wasn't as fast as say two years ago, it doesn't matter that much in that position. 

I have never seen him life, and people are impressed by how fast some are, how hard some shoot, how great tough some others have. It is maybe because I play that same position but there are very few things as impressive to me (and pleasant in every sense of the word) than watching a footballer that has everything under control in every moment. A footballer that doesn't need more than 2 seconds to give a whole new dimension to every ball that goes through him, always making the right choice, knowing which side to go to at all times, where the pressure comes from, where everyone is... Finding the spaces in which he's available. It's something that you can see on a player straight away, even on tv. Who cares about legs!

I mean he's awesome but it's way too early to say things like Bargain of the season and signing of the season, for fucks sake. Same as it was too young to say his legs were finished.

We've played 5 league games so far, without any specially difficult ones, there are 33 left, so let's just chill, keep our feet on the ground and just focus on working and improving every week.

1 hour ago, Txrt said:

I mean he's awesome but it's way too early to say things like Bargain of the season and signing of the season, for fucks sake. Same as it was too young to say his legs were finished.

We've played 5 league games so far, without any specially difficult ones, there are 33 left, so let's just chill, keep our feet on the ground and just focus on working and improving every week.

I take your points, all good, but I think Matic wil prove to be an exceptional signing. We saw that with Robbo and Keane, both great players who served the club.  Matic shows the same qualities, and we have been crying out for his kind of role since Keano left. 

Five games in maybe but he's been the stand up player even with other outstanding performances around him. I think he's been the best buy of this recent transfer session and will probably rated as one of the best post-Fergie buys. Whether he turns out as great as Keano or Robbo who knows. 

57 minutes ago, Stretford End Phil said:

I take your points, all good, but I think Matic wil prove to be an exceptional signing. We saw that with Robbo and Keane, both great players who served the club.  Matic shows the same qualities, and we have been crying out for his kind of role since Keano left. 

Five games in maybe but he's been the stand up player even with other outstanding performances around him. I think he's been the best buy of this recent transfer session and will probably rated as one of the best post-Fergie buys. Whether he turns out as great as Keano or Robbo who knows. 

But imagine he gets injured badly in two weeks. That's the point I'm making, obviously he's been fantastic, I am a massive massive fan of the guy, love to see him play for us, no doubt about it.

But I think there'll be time to discuss about signing of the season etc when the season is over. It doesn't make much sense now in my opinion; he could injure himself and not play, we could collapse as a club and he wouldn't be considered the signing of the season, and above all, we haven't even properly seen many of the other team's good signings.

But yeah, no doubt about what you say; he's been fantastic and he just is a fantastic footballer. Hope he is rotated this cup game and properly rested.

Imagine it rains on Wednesday and we get beat 6-0, the shock leads Jose to have a breakdown, and Fergie steps up but goes gaga. By Xmas we have the same points as today and all the players put in for a transfer request in January. We get relegated and end up in the wilderness like the Scouses for 30 years. Yeah, we all get concerns but you can't second guess calamities or successes.

Footy is about enjoying what we have while we have it.

17 hours ago, Txrt said:

I swear to Christ people post anything in the internet. If you even know how many times I read "Chelsea fans don't rate him, they say he is on his last legs" during the window... 

I watched 30+ Chelsea matches last year, because I love Conte and because I had a bet on them winning the league, and I time and time again said I thought he still had great legs, and even if he wasn't as fast as say two years ago, it doesn't matter that much in that position. 

I have never seen him life, and people are impressed by how fast some are, how hard some shoot, how great tough some others have. It is maybe because I play that same position but there are very few things as impressive to me (and pleasant in every sense of the word) than watching a footballer that has everything under control in every moment. A footballer that doesn't need more than 2 seconds to give a whole new dimension to every ball that goes through him, always making the right choice, knowing which side to go to at all times, where the pressure comes from, where everyone is... Finding the spaces in which he's available. It's something that you can see on a player straight away, even on tv. Who cares about legs!

One thing that impresses me with him and this is something that impresses me with different people in many sports - he knows his own body incredibly well. By which I mean, he knows when he can let the ball run past him and turn, he knows when he needs to take a touch past someone, he's got that kind of spatial awareness which not many people do

Thing is with Matic, he doesn't need a fantastic turn of speed. As Canto says, he's got great 'spatial awareness' that puts him one step ahead of opponents. I think that he and Herrera will make a formidable pairing and when you add Pogba and Miki into the mix, it bodes well for our title chances. Makes me wonder where Mata will fit in but it's a nice problem to have.

What I like about him is that he always looks composed and disciplined. He seems to win the ball back a lot and make what I think is the right pass at the right time, so I think he has had a good start to his United career. But he has also made one or two sloppy mistakes, giving the ball away in key areas which against better opposition, may have cost us. 

Just now, JJtheRed said:

Mine were huge! 

Glad to be proven wrong, though. 

Still very early though. All season won't be like this where everything goes our way. It's still too early, and we're still riding that positivism wave where everything goes our way, every player performs, every match is won this way or that way... But there'll be tough times, and we'll judge him completely after the season's over. And I will admit and take all criticism if Matic does suck without any problems ahaha. 

But hopefully he continues this way, which is what I expected and why I was such a big pro-Matic guy from the start.

PD: Doesn't have much to do with this, but I am really liking Bakayoko too; the more I see, the more I like. He's very good too. 

Just now, Txrt said:

Still very early though. All season won't be like this where everything goes our way. It's still too early, and we're still riding that positivism wave where everything goes our way, every player performs, every match is won this way or that way... But there'll be tough times, and we'll judge him completely after the season's over. And I will admit and take all criticism if Matic does suck without any problems ahaha. 

But hopefully he continues this way, which is what I expected and why I was such a big pro-Matic guy from the start.

PD: Doesn't have much to do with this, but I am really liking Bakayoko too; the more I see, the more I like. He's very good too. 

Bakayoko is a monster. Conte would always coach a player like that the right way. I wanted to sign him because of the longevity factor and his ability to play in a 4-4-2 if needed. Not as good in tight areas, but athletic as fuck.

Just now, O said:

Bakayoko is a monster. Conte would always coach a player like that the right way. I wanted to sign him because of the longevity factor and his ability to play in a 4-4-2 if needed. Not as good in tight areas, but athletic as fuck.

But I still don't see Bakayoko playing the Matic role alone. He's great to be a companion to the Cesc's, Kante's etc, but he's not able to play the role Matic is playing for me, definitely not. Even less Fabinho.

Btw, what the boss (Conte) is doing with David Luiz when on the ball is tremendously surprising but has been very effective and it shows on what level Conte really is.

Wasn't his immaculate self today and gave it away a few times. A short couple hours flight to Austria on Wednesday. Come back intact please.

Edited by DJSmith

The type of player we could have signed in our hay day and gone completely under the radar for 5 years. He's just more obvious since we've lacked his calmness for years.