O

Squad Depth; are you happy?

6 hours ago, Juanderful said:

We have Lukaku, Zlatan, Rashford, Martial.

I can't even think of another team with better options/depth than us....

was thinking of a proven #9

Zlatan will be here half a season. Martial. Seems better coming from the left.

Rashford is not there yet.

2 minutes ago, Red4Life said:

was thinking of a proven #9

Zlatan will be here half a season. Martial. Seems better coming from the left.

Rashford is not there yet.

I think you're confusing depth with quality. When you take into account the ages of Rashford, Martial and Lukaku, then obviously inconsistencies in their performances is to be expected. But with their ages comes a ceiling, room to grow. You have to account for that. Zlatan only being here for half a season is irrelevant. He is a United player, and having that amount of quality as a tool in our box is something most teams could only dream about having. (Unless he is completely washed up post injury. But then, who is going to doubt him again?)

If you bring this back to depth, as is the topic of the thread, then I really don't think you have any grounds to complain about our out-and-out striking options. For comparison sake, here are the strikers available for other PL teams to the best of my knowledge;

ChelseaMorata/Batshuayi/Costa (lol)
Arsenal:  Lacazette/Giroud/Sanchez (though I doubt he'll play there anymore)
Spurs: Kane/Llorente 
Liverpool: Firmino/Sturridge/Solanke/Ings
City: Aguero/Jesus
United: Lukaku/Zlatan/Rashford/Martial

Heck, here are a few others from other leagues;

Barcelona: Suarez/Messi/Alcacer  
Real Madrid: Benzema/Ronaldo
Bayern: Lewandowski/Muller?
Dortmund: Aubameyang (legit no idea who they have to cover him)
PSG: Cavani/Neymar/Mbappe (😩)

Do not get me wrong. I am not saying we have the best quality. I would take most of these players over Lukaku as a lead forward. But so many of these rest on the laurels of their star man not getting injured. If Aubameyang picks up an injury, then they're playing wingers there. City literally only have Aguero and Jesus. Lets be honest, they're quite prone to picking up an injury. If they both happened to be injured at the same time, they'll be fielding a team of midfielders...

We really have no reason to worry in this respect. And even if all 4 of those named picked up a knock, then we have Mkhitaryan, Fellaini [and Wilson] to play out of position. And like I said, what we lack in quality in comparison, we make up for in potential for growth. Most of the teams above are going to have to look at replacements sooner rather than later. I imagine we'll sign someone new when Zlatan moves on also. Who's that going to be? Let us assume that it might be someone like Griezmann. How about that for depth and quality...?

Although, PSG. Disgusting quality and depth 😷

47 minutes ago, Juanderful said:

I think you're confusing depth with quality. When you take into account the ages of Rashford, Martial and Lukaku, then obviously inconsistencies in their performances is to be expected. But with their ages comes a ceiling, room to grow. You have to account for that. Zlatan only being here for half a season is irrelevant. He is a United player, and having that amount of quality as a tool in our box is something most teams could only dream about having. (Unless he is completely washed up post injury. But then, who is going to doubt him again?)

If you bring this back to depth, as is the topic of the thread, then I really don't think you have any grounds to complain about our out-and-out striking options. For comparison sake, here are the strikers available for other PL teams to the best of my knowledge;

PSG: Cavani/Neymar/Mbappe (1f629.png)

Do not get me wrong. I am not saying we have the best quality. I would take most of these players over Lukaku as a lead forward. But so many of these rest on the laurels of their star man not getting injured. If Aubameyang picks up an injury, then they're playing wingers there. City literally only have Aguero and Jesus. Lets be honest, they're quite prone to picking up an injury. If they both happened to be injured at the same time, they'll be fielding a team of midfielders...

We really have no reason to worry in this respect. And even if all 4 of those named picked up a knock, then we have Mkhitaryan, Fellaini [and Wilson] to play out of position. And like I said, what we lack in quality in comparison, we make up for in potential for growth. Most of the teams above are going to have to look at replacements sooner rather than later. I imagine we'll sign someone new when Zlatan moves on also. Who's that going to be? Let us assume that it might be someone like Griezmann. How about that for depth and quality...?

Although, PSG. Disgusting quality and depth 1f637.png

Can't disagree with you there Juan.     I'm still not convinced about Martial though.  But that's not a bad thing to be fair, coz normally when I'm rubbing my chin about someone they go and prove me wrong.

27 minutes ago, THE BASTARD said:

Can't disagree with you there Juan.     I'm still not convinced about Martial though.  But that's not a bad thing to be fair, coz normally when I'm rubbing my chin about someone they go and prove me wrong.

Aye, it's similar for me when I doubt a player and they throw egg at my face (Rojo...)

I do think Martial is better from the left. The space to take on players suits him and he has a knack for putting the ball at another players feet for an assist. But least we forget that we signed him as a ST and that's where he played during his first season. If it came to it, I don't think we should be worried at all if he had to play ST.

Of the 4 strikers we have Rashford is the best and is United quality.

Zlatan -age

Martial - I doubt he will be here long term.

Lukaku. I was never thrilled with him. He can do better. Perhaps I am expecting too much.

Fair enough. Numbers v United Quality.

51 minutes ago, Red4Life said:

Of the 4 strikers we have Rashford is the best and is United quality.

Zlatan -age

Martial - I doubt he will be here long term.

Lukaku. I was never thrilled with him. He can do better. Perhaps I am expecting too much.

Fair enough. Numbers v United Quality.

Lukaku got 6 goals i 6 games.

24 minutes ago, johan said:

Lukaku got 6 goals i 6 games.

I am aware of that.

I want to see our strikers take on defenders.

Rashford does that.

He needs to pull the trigger faster.

Perhaps its just me. Lukaku irritates me with losing the ball when he should not.

United Quality goes beyond skills.

I want players who are bloody willing bust a gut for the club.

We have in many ways lost our way from say 10 years ago even.

And more from even longer ago.

I do trust Mourinho.

But its going to take time.

20 hours ago, Red4Life said:

United Quality goes beyond skills.

I want players who are bloody willing bust a gut for the club.

We have in many ways lost our way from say 10 years ago even.

And more from even longer ago.

I do trust Mourinho.

But its going to take time.

Fellaini?

4 minutes ago, Mickey Mouse said:

Fellaini?

I like Fellani. He has improved under Mourinho.

An impact sub..though not in the way he was fortunately.

Think he will be gone next season because he will want to be a regular.

Hope I am wrong.

5 minutes ago, Red4Life said:

I like Fellani. He has improved under Mourinho.

An impact sub..though not in the way he was fortunately.

Think he will be gone next season because he will want to be a regular.

Hope I am wrong.

wrong about which part? him leaving or improving further?

We do look thin.

I thought Fellaini was useful to Everton but a drip until Jose came along. If he stays out of our area and threatens opponents let him stay.

The squad feels lightweight - it may well be be a false impression but I would certainly like another striker. Chico would have been enough if content to sit on the bench as a sub.

We have no one with guile as one of our guys wrote here after Stoke. We had no game changer for the Stoke game, I don't think we have one in the squad. Our subs continue with the same play, not game change it.

Injuries concen me because of rotation - Pogba had not missed a game and his hamstring went. Sometimes I think Jose is reluctant to rotate.

Edited by Stretford End Phil

15 minutes ago, Stretford End Phil said:

We do look thin.

I thought Fellaini was useful to Everton but a drip until Jose came along. If he stays out of our area and threatens opponents let him stay.

The squad feels lightweight - it may well be be a false impression but I would certainly like another striker. Chico would have been enough if content to sit on the bench as a sub.

We have no one with guile as one of our guys wrote here after Stoke. We had no game changer for the Stoke game, I don't think we have one in the squad. Our subs continue with the same play, not game change it.

Injuries concen me because of rotation - Pogba had not missed a game and his hamstring went. Sometimes I think Jose is reluctant to rotate.

Nailed it Phil.     I still think we are missing that little bit of magic you need sometimes when games are getting away from us.  A Modric type  that  oozes quality and puts the shits up teams.  I was kind of hoping Micky -T would give us something like that but ive yet to see it from him to be honest.

On 9/15/2017 at 21:46, Juanderful said:

PSG: Cavani/Neymar/Mbappe (1f629.png)

Although, PSG. Disgusting quality and depth 1f637.png

Welbeck missing 😉

Depth is not our problem – We’re the second best in the league in that regard by some way. City are even further away from us. Only Bayern, PSG and Madrid rival their depth.

The rest of our rivals all look thin and wont have the luxury of one game a week either – Doubt any of them will challenge for the title and I think the Manchester clubs run away with it. It’s just annoying the one major injury we get is to the one player we can’t really replace, although Pogba is pretty unique so most teams would have the same issue. Herrera and Fellaini are both good enough to start games and better than most teams have as 3rd/4th choice in midfield.

I don’t think our forwards are at the level of the best players our rivals have – Mane, Hazard, Sanchez, Kane – Would comfortably be our best attacking players. City have about 5 players who would be our best attacking player. We have a lot of good players all around the same level – Mkhi, Mata, Martial, Rashford, Lukaku - Zlatan is a bit of a wildcard but at 36 coming off a major knee injury it’s tough to assume he’ll be what he was. We should have pushed to get a more consistent attacker from wide but alas we bottled it. Griezmann being a loyal cunt didn’t help.  

I still think we are a bit lethargic centrally.  I'd love to have seen us sign Willian.  He would give us far more energy there.  Mata and Micky do a lot of runabout stuff in there but rarely comes to anything, especially Mata who burns out quickly.  And Felliani is just a stocking filler to try and break things up.  But I can see why Jo-Mo let Mata go and then brought in Oscar and Willian at Chelsea.   Far more energy, and it quickly yielded a prem title.    As yet I'm still unconvinced about Micky-T.    Its like Nani all over again.  He does something wonderful, then looks a passenger for the next few games.  A poor Everton team actually looked half decent for 35 minutes on Sunday because our ball retention was poor, and we clearly looked disturbed by it.   We gave them a platform to build on and we struggled to get the ball back.

Jones looked a bag of nerves, his defending qualities are akin to an octopus falling out of a tree.  How him and Smalling are still at the club is astonishing.    So I think at the moment we are indeed getting away with it.   But I think soon we are in for a rude awakening. 

On 19/09/2017 at 13:19, THE BASTARD said:

I still think we are a bit lethargic centrally.  I'd love to have seen us sign Willian.  He would give us far more energy there.  Mata and Micky do a lot of runabout stuff in there but rarely comes to anything, especially Mata who burns out quickly.  And Felliani is just a stocking filler to try and break things up.  But I can see why Jo-Mo let Mata go and then brought in Oscar and Willian at Chelsea.   Far more energy, and it quickly yielded a prem title.    As yet I'm still unconvinced about Micky-T.    Its like Nani all over again.  He does something wonderful, then looks a passenger for the next few games.  A poor Everton team actually looked half decent for 35 minutes on Sunday because our ball retention was poor, and we clearly looked disturbed by it.   We gave them a platform to build on and we struggled to get the ball back.

Jones looked a bag of nerves, his defending qualities are akin to an octopus falling out of a tree.  How him and Smalling are still at the club is astonishing.    So I think at the moment we are indeed getting away with it.   But I think soon we are in for a rude awakening. 

It's amazing we are join top of the league, according to your assessment with so many problems. Imagine if things click into place, eh?