DJSmith

Ivan Perisic

Haven't seen a threat for him but reports are showing that Jose has gone over to Croatia to seal a deal. Jose spotted with Ivan's agent, apparently.

I remember him from the Euros last year. Quick, direct and has an abundance of pace. 6ft 1, so that should please Mr Mourhino. Not a big Serie A fan so I'm not clued up about him. Plays on the left or a #10 so this may spell the end for Martial. 

Perisic can easily play on the right. He'd be a good signing, but given his age & the £30m+ he'd most likely cost I think we'd be better off targeting someone a bit younger. 

21 hours ago, DJSmith said:

Haven't seen a threat for him but reports are showing that Jose has gone over to Croatia to seal a deal. Jose spotted with Ivan's agent, apparently.

I remember him from the Euros last year. Quick, direct and has an abundance of pace. 6ft 1, so that should please Mr Mourhino. Not a big Serie A fan so I'm not clued up about him. Plays on the left or a #10 so this may spell the end for Martial. 

Isn't sealing deals Ed's job?

I saw quotes from Jose denying this. He said he was in Croatia because he has some free days and he went to see some old friends (and escape the Manchester weather!)  - he mentioned names but I can't remember them.

He also said - in response to the story he'd gone to watch this player - (to paraphrase) that he doesn't need to travel anywhere to watch a player. He can do it from home and if he wants a particular  player he knows what they can do already without having to watch them.

I loved a comment from someone about a bit of film showing him getting into a car - presumably at the football ground. 'Stop Press! Jose's gone to watch a game! He can't pick his nose without someone making a headline out of it' lol

With this two week club break there was probably always going to be people watching his every move in case he went anywhere near a football game so they could come up with something like this! (or indeed, in case he picked his nose!)

Found the quotes in question.

Jose Mourinho has played down suggestions that his appearance at Croatia's 1-0 win over Ukraine on Friday night was a scouting mission - instead suggesting he was escaping "the rainy weather in Manchester".

The Manchester United manager watched the World Cup qualifier and met with Predrag Mijatovic -the ex Real Madrid striker, now working as an agent.

Mourinho told HNTV: “I have no hidden cause, I just came to enjoy my free days and visit some friends like Predrag Mijatovic and Davor Suker.

“I know everyone believes I came to watch some players, but in football today you don’t have to travel around in order to see some players, I know all of them well.

“I came as a person that wants to relax and enjoy the nice weather, unlike the rain in Manchester"

Edited by RVPred

On 3/25/2017 at 00:02, O said:

A good player, but not better than Martial at full flight.

He plays better for Croatia than he does at club level.

Bullshit. He's been amazing for Inter - He's their best player.

Would be exactly the type of player I could see Mourinho going for. Goal threat and versatile. 

15 minutes ago, TFIA said:

Bullshit. He's been amazing for Inter - He's their best player.

Would be exactly the type of player I could see Mourinho going for. Goal threat and versatile. 

Hardly amazing. He's not putting up jaw dropping numbers. Even little Juan beats him on that front. Icardi carries the club.

I never said he wasn't a Mourinho type player. I have little interest in signing or not signing him. We already have two experienced attacking players in Mata and Mkhitaryan. No need for another 28 year old.

Hmm, not really a signing I'm keen on in all honesty. He's a good player but we have other higher priorities than the 3 behind Ibrahimovic at the moment. 

14 minutes ago, peterswellman said:

Some rumours going round that we have agreed a €45m deal. I haven't seen enough of him to genuinely comment but when I have I haven't been overly impressed.

Overpaying, if that's the fee. He's not as good as someone like Draxler, who moved for considerably less, or Sane, or Payet. Even looking within Italy we could get Mertens for that price.

If it's a sign that Rashford and Martial are going to get lots of time up front, I'm all for us buying someone to play out on the left, and I can see why Mourinho would want him, because he's pretty big for a winger and he's decent defensively, but I'll be disapponted if he was our first choice and we spent that much on him. 

11 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Overpaying, if that's the fee. He's not as good as someone like Draxler, who moved for considerably less, or Sane, or Payet. Even looking within Italy we could get Mertens for that price.

If it's a sign that Rashford and Martial are going to get lots of time up front, I'm all for us buying someone to play out on the left, and I can see why Mourinho would want him, because he's pretty big for a winger and he's decent defensively, but I'll be disapponted if he was our first choice and we spent that much on him. 

He's a better than Draxler, who's still wildly inconsistent, even if not quite as talented. He hasn't really kicked on from his Schalke days and was a total flop at Wolfsburg.

Sane is still more of a prospect and Payet is a totally different player.

Perisic is very consistent and good at everything. Will work hard and provide and end product. Like Lingard with talent.

19 minutes ago, TFIA said:

He's a better than Draxler, who's still wildly inconsistent, even if not quite as talented. He hasn't really kicked on from his Schalke days and was a total flop at Wolfsburg.

Sane is still more of a prospect and Payet is a totally different player.

Perisic is very consistent and good at everything. Will work hard and provide and end product. Like Lingard with talent.

Draxler is at least as good, I think, although I've seen Perisic more.

Sane is a bit better already, as is Mertens. Payet is a totally different player, yes, but so are who have on the left at the moment.

I 100% agree that he's consistent and good at everything. He's one of the most consistent attacking players in Serie A, and like you say he's very hard working. He'd be a good option to have, but for the money talked about we could and should be doing better, and if he replaces Martial or Rashford rather than allowing them to play more, I'll be furious.

Mourinho type of player; an attacking player who helps in defense. Mertens is so much better but he doesn't do anything defensively. however it's acceptable if we only pay 25m~30m

40 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Draxler is at least as good, I think, although I've seen Perisic more.

Sane is a bit better already, as is Mertens. Payet is a totally different player, yes, but so are who have on the left at the moment.

I 100% agree that he's consistent and good at everything. He's one of the most consistent attacking players in Serie A, and like you say he's very hard working. He'd be a good option to have, but for the money talked about we could and should be doing better, and if he replaces Martial or Rashford rather than allowing them to play more, I'll be furious.

Draxler is very hit and miss and that has continued with PSG. His performances in the Barca home/away legs basically sum him up. 

Sane is a Bale type talent but not sure he's better just yet. City got him for a bargain price though.

I think the fact that he's different to what we have is why we're in for him. Not like anyone on the left nailed down the position. 

Not sure why you'd be furious about Martial - He's had every chance this season and pretty much always disappointed. He will still get chances but he's given us no reason to rely on him. 

The only issue I have with the fee is his age. He's better than anything we have in his position.